Walt Disney World to Test Cash-less Resort Concept at Animal Kingdom Lodge in February

Walt Disney World will be testing a cash-less environment at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge during a limited pilot program beginning February 12th, 2018.

Jambo House at the Resort will be the first location to accept electronic payment only for all purchases and services. Guests with resort or dining reservations during the pilot program are being advised of the change.

Valid forms of payments that will be accepted include MagicBands, credit cards, debit cards, Disney Gift Cards, Disney Rewards Redemption Cards and electronic payments methods such as Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay.

Shawn
Shawn

What items/services were offered for cash only at AKL? Animal Kingdom Lodge is my home-away-from-home resort at WDW and can’t remember paying for anything with cash.

Frank
Frank
Reply to  Shawn

So if I want to go eat at the Mara, they won’t take cash? Why is this being pushed? They don’t trust the cashiers to make change?

Disneyguy
Disneyguy
Reply to  Frank

It simplifies operations because it means they don’t need to have cash on-hand at all the various locations. It also reduces the number of CMs who need to have access to cash, which drastically reduces the possibility for theft.

Andrew
Andrew
Reply to  Shawn

Not items that are cash only but any location within the resort that takes payment. Think of it like this, If I wasn’t staying at AKL but I resort hopped to get some Zebra Domes at the Mara I better have a credit card cause they aren’t going to take my cash anymore.

Oprah for President
Oprah for President

Wonder how this will affect tips. I assume the waitstaff will see less. Disney is looking only in its pockets, not the CM’s.

Mike W
Mike W

Have you seen a receipt lately?

TIP _________

^^^ Just write in the normal 5% you add everytime

El Toro Diablo
El Toro Diablo

“Although the resort will be cash-less during the pilot period, they will continue to accept cash for tips and guests staying at the resort can use cash to add to their room charge capabilities.”

Interviewingcelebritiesonacouchisnotaqualification4president
Interviewingcelebritiesonacouchisnotaqualification4president

Because reading is fundamental. Perhaps you should go back and re-read the article.

neitherispretendingtofirethembutthatdidntstophim
neitherispretendingtofirethembutthatdidntstophim

I agree read the article.

Tom Cashless
Tom Cashless

I assume my old Disney dollars are still legal tender

Beaurigard Amusuel
Beaurigard Amusuel

This is how things have worked on cruise ships for almost an eternity. Nothing new to see or complain about here. Move on.

Bill
Bill

There’s plenty to complain about. Cash is anonymous. Many people do not want Disney – or anybody else – tracking their every purchase. It’s tiresome.

The Illuminati
The Illuminati
Reply to  Bill

Anonymous cash, ha sure if that’s what you want to think.

E smitb
E smitb
Reply to  Bill

By a disney gift card with cash and use it…

Mindy
Mindy
Reply to  Bill

I also think this is a bad idea, as I am here now. I am a follower of Dave Ramsey and prefer to pay with things in cash. Doesn’t it devalue the American Dollar to not accept it?
They moved me over to another check out line when I wanted to pay in cash at Animal Kingdom tonight.

John Perratti
John Perratti

I despise this idea. I sometimes link a CC to my MagicBand and sometimes pay cash. This should always be a choice. Yet another Disney blunder IMO

Bill
Bill

Truly, horrifically, incredibly, Stupid. Eff the public. We’ll going to do what we want and don’t give a rat’s patootie about what the public wants.

I think this has come about because Disney has raised prices so high that it’s becoming impractical to actually carry enough cash for a Disney experience. You’d need to carry a backpack full of cash just to eat at Disney.

Simma down now
Simma down now
Reply to  Bill

Woah there skippy. They’re doing a trial, that’s to gauge the public’s reaction. “Effing the public” would be implementing it full time with no feedback.

tom
tom
Reply to  Bill

not really just one bitcoin

Warden Wilson Matulla
Warden Wilson Matulla

What am I supposed to barter with?? Lion pelts? Ivory? Bags of corn??Darnit I’m a warden for God’s sake! I don’t make that much as it is!

RoboChapek
RoboChapek

I will be monitoring all credit csrd transactions and want to ensure you that nothing will go worng… wrong. Im clearly not a robot!