Today, Disney announced what the company is doing to celebrate the historic 90th Birthday of Mickey Mouse.
From Disney D23:
“The party kicks off on March 7 with “The Happiest Show on Earth”—a runway fashion event featuring a Mickey-inspired collection designed by couture brand Opening Ceremony founders Carol Lim and Humberto Leon. The show will also serve as Opening Ceremony’s Spring 2018 runway show, and the special “mouse-terpieces” will close out fashion week celebrations around the world. You can join in on this festive fashion extravaganza, as select items from the Mickey collaboration will be immediately available for sale following the runway show at shopDisney.com, OpeningCeremony.com, and Opening Ceremony stores, while remaining ready-to-wear looks will hit stores in November. Of course, no fashion show is complete without Minnie Mouse! The icon—who shares this milestone anniversary with Mickey and who recently received her official star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame—will also be celebrated at the fashion show.
Disney’s collaboration with Opening Ceremony will serve as the launch of “Mickey the True Original”—a global celebration of Mickey’s heritage, personality, and status as a pop-culture icon. Mickey Mouse is going to be very much in style, thanks to fashion collaborations with other true original brands, as well as special content and events that embrace Mickey’s impact on the past, present, and future”
Disney also mentioned a few other celebrations going starting in 2018, and going beyond into 2019. This includes:
- In the fall, ABC will air a tv-special for Mickey in honor of his birthday with special celebrity guests, musical performances and more.
- Disney Channel will debut season five of Mickey Mouse animated shorts, including a special seven-minute extended-length birthday episode that will air later this year.
- Walt Disney Parks and Resorts around the world will celebrate Mickey’s 90th on November 18th, marking the day with commemorative merchandise, photo locations, and more.
- Beginning in late 2018 and into 2019 the World’s Biggest Mouse Party, saluting Mickey and Minnie, will take place at Disney Parks worldwide.
- Disney On Ice will salute Mickey as the “True Original” host of Disney On Ice since its inception in 1981 by creating Mickey’s 90th pre-shows for productions touring the United States, Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Latin America.
- Disney On Ice presents Mickey’s Special Celebration, a new production showcasing Mickey Mouse’s memories throughout the years, will launch in Japan in July 2018 and continue touring throughout the Asia-Pacific region until August 2019.
- In France, 38 design and art schools will take part in “Mickey Is Art,” a unique contest in which students will craft works of Mickey, inspired by their favorite artistic movement. The winning designs will be displayed this summer in 12 major train stations in France and for sale this September at Galerie Glénat in Paris.
- Disney store will continue to celebrate milestone moments for Mickey Mouse with the Mickey Mouse Memories Collection (launched Jan 2018), a monthly, limited-release series of 12 collectible plush, mugs, and cloisonné pins inspired by Mickey’s most memorable movie roles.
- Disney Publishing Worldwide will introduce more than 30 titles globally as part of Mickey’s 90th, including books, arts & crafts, and comics.
The most exciting part of this celebration to me is the “World’s Biggest Mouse Party” that will take place in the Disney Parks worldwide. No more information was given on this aspect at this time. Disney is also asking everyone to use the special #Mickey90 on social media to help celebrate Mickey Mouse.
Are you looking forward to celebrating Mickey’s big 90th Birthday? Leave a comment below on what you think is the most exciting part of the newly announced celebration!