Crossroads Shopping Center Closing for Disney Road Enhancements

Florida Acquires Crossroads Shopping Center For $198 Million, Will Bulldoze to Build New Road to Walt Disney World

In an eminent domain settlement, Florida has agreed to pay $198 million to acquire the Crossroads shopping center near Walt Disney World. Florida will be knocking down Crossroads in order to build a new road leading to Walt Disney World as part of the ongoing I-4 Ultimate project.

We first told you about this project way back in December 2016, and then in April 2018 it was expected that the shopping center would close within 18 months. It seems those negotiations took longer than expected, but have finally wrapped up.

According to The Orlando Sentinel, attorneys for the Florida Department of Transportation and Crossroad’s owner U.S. Cities Fund signed an agreement late last year outlining payments for each of the twenty-five tenants of Crossroads. The largest payment of $15.7 million is going to Gooding’s Supermarkets. U.S. Cities Fund received about $149.4 million and an additional $10 million to cover attorney fees and other expenses.

The twenty-five tenants have until August to vacate Crossroads.

The $198 million settlement is now the highest known eminent domain settlement, the previous record being around $70 million.

How do you feel about the destruction of Crossroads shopping center? Let us know in the comments.

3.5 2 votes
Hector Quezada
Hector Quezada
4 months ago

Such fine memories going to Goodings for groceries and dining in Red Lobster (my mother’s favorite).
Hope that it is for the better and more efficient transit to WDW.
CROSSROADS was part of the experience going to WDW as member of the DVC.

Robert McLaws
Robert McLaws
4 months ago

Thank GOD, that intersection is one of the most poorly-managed areas in all of Orlando. It will get worse before it gets better, but soon it will be *so much better*.

Kenny
Kenny
Reply to  Robert McLaws

Yeah that intersection sucked but Crossroads itself was fine. Besides, people here drive very impatiently and cause more problems than there’s reason to.

Nick
Nick
Reply to  Kenny

That’s one thing I noticed driving there quite a bit, was the constant honking over any little thing. It’s very annoying. I live and drive in Tampa and lived in other cities, it’s not like that. Maybe NYC but orlando ain’t NYC.

Brad Wilson
Brad Wilson
Reply to  Robert McLaws

As someone who lived in the apartments now called Buena Vista @ Cypress Point, about 1 mile north of that intersection, that was the primary reason that I moved after just one year. It was especially bad on Friday nights from what I recall. I hated that it could take as much as 20 minutes to get to I-4 from there (ONE MILE!).

Amateur Land Surveyor
Amateur Land Surveyor
4 months ago

I didn’t realize people were having trouble getting to Walt Disney World…

Jane
Jane
4 months ago

I think it’s terrible… so many memories at those restaurants over the decades!

Jason
Jason
Reply to  Jane

Remember Jungle Jim’s??

Tom Corless
Admin
Reply to  Jason

THE BEST!

Deb Woodrow
Deb Woodrow
Reply to  Jane

Yes, however if you’ve recently driven there the traffic is ” out of control”

Nick Paulauski
Nick Paulauski
4 months ago

That intersection that takes you onto Hotel Plaza Blvd is absolutely horrendous! With that said, I’ll miss a few of those places…the mini golf at Pirates Cove, Chevy’s Mexican restaurant…they were places we made memories with our kids. Now, we hope for new and better, just sad to see some of those places go!

PDawg
PDawg
4 months ago

Disney sucks now anyway since Covid started so who even cares

NurseB
NurseB
Reply to  PDawg

With the amount of time it takes for road construction, by the time it’s completed we should be back to “normal”.

JustJessee
JustJessee
Reply to  PDawg

Such a mature sentiment. The Disney themepark experience does seem to suck ever since “COVID started”. They should totally ask COVID to stop, because it’s totally lame. 406,000 Americans would’ve agreed with you.

If someone feels compelled to make a public show of being flippant and ‘not caring’, its just them begging for attention. Hope you’re happy with a fleeting acknowledgement of your posted opinion.

Dante
Dante
Reply to  JustJessee

The 400k should of taken care of them shelf, the old and weak

Mr. B.
Mr. B.
Reply to  PDawg

Everything sucks now because of covid. It’s not forever

Cwilliams
Cwilliams
Reply to  PDawg

Couldn’t agree more. Hey Florida let’s spend all this money for a place that fired a HUGE chunk of it work force and for what? How about trying too utilize the newly over priced waste of money space for something that has a positive impact for the community. SMDH

David Quintero
David Quintero
Reply to  Cwilliams

From the Orlando Airport to the Walt Disney World parks, it would be nice if they had some kind of train service connecting the parks to the airport and to the Disney hotel area because that place is way too big and even by car you jump on one Highway and it can take even with no traffic and speeding something like 20 or 30 minutes to get to the next Park, ( that is if you do not get lost or take the wrong on ramp or off ramp or exit or whatever.) also has the rental car companies… Read more »

Donna Jefferson
Donna Jefferson
4 months ago

That’s the best Buffalo Wild Wings franchise in Orlando! I hope they relocate nearby!

Tom Corless
Admin
4 months ago

The one by SeaWorld is good too.

David O Toole
David O Toole
4 months ago

Sorry to see it going lots of memories bringing my family to Perkins. TGi & more for the past 35 years

Dana Dodson
Dana Dodson

What the RAT wants the RAT gets.Dans Dodson

Duane
Duane
4 months ago

Of course. It was an easy and convenient drive to get cheap food and meals from the resorts on the east side of WDW. Now the options will be more limited and further away.

Fred
Fred
4 months ago

Why is Florida paying for this. Why not Disney itself. especially now that they have canceled their shuttle service they’ll only be adding more traffic to the roads.

Jason
Jason
Reply to  Fred

An interstate is managed by federal dollars. As this is an offramp from I-4, it would fall under that category. If it were just a normal byway or highway, I’d agree with you.

Julio
Julio

Dis Grace. Love those shops
Dont NEED this road, keep da restuarants

Jennifer Mcguire
Jennifer Mcguire
4 months ago

Great time to take away even more jobs in the area. Most low paying so it’s obvious the rich attorneys and landowners could care less.

Laurie Christoffersen
Laurie Christoffersen
4 months ago

I think this is Awful!! That’s the only place close to Disney Springs to have food if you can’t afford or don’t want to eat at Disney Springs! McDonalds and Chevys are staples for almost everyone.. There isn’t another Chevys in ALL of Orlando. Closest UNO is in Winter Garden!! Why can’t they tear down the back half of the plaza and skirt along the hwy?! I am going to be sad when there is a giant piece of hwy instead of places to de stress after a long day at Disney! 🥺

Eileen S Lexner
Eileen S Lexner
4 months ago

Sad! Where’s fuddruckers going?

juan stumofu
juan stumofu
4 months ago

It’s a shame. One exit west is a very easy way to get right into the park. Truly don’t understand the waste of money, the loss of all the restaurant jobs and the loss of business.. So many hotels nearby and you’re forcing over a dozen restaurants to close.

L Sterk
L Sterk
4 months ago

So sad Chevy’s Mexican is being stomped on. All of the chain’s restaurants have been closed in my hometown so I so looked forward to that one when visiting Orlando/Disney.

Jason
Jason
Reply to  L Sterk

I’ve only eaten at a Chevy’s once – in San Francisco back in like 2001 at MacWorld. It was pretty decent. But I’m also a spoiled brat when it comes to good Tex-Mex as I live in SE Texas :D I’ll have to check this place out when they move on my next trip.

🍒 Cherry
🍒 Cherry
4 months ago

Geez, why does Disney World have to have more stuff?! Evil corporation. Screw Disney. I already canceled my Disney+ subscription. There are business owners, Florida! Filthy rats.

Your papa
Your papa
4 months ago

How much will the mini golf receive?

Lori
Lori
4 months ago

I will miss all those restaurants. I go to many of them when I’m in town..yes the traffic is terrible mainly because half the drivers don’t know where they going