splash-mountain-evacuation-12-31-20-5

PHOTOS: Guests Evacuated From Splash Mountain at the Magic Kingdom on New Year’s Eve

Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom wrapped up its difficult year of 2020 with an evacuation late on New Year’s Eve.

splash-mountain-evacuation-12-31-20-5

The ride was stopped at around 9:15 PM, though My Disney Experience still listed it as having a 35 minute wait.

splash-mountain-evacuation-12-31-20-4

They stopped letting guests into line around the same time.

splash-mountain-evacuation-12-31-20-3

Several logs were backed up in areas.

splash-mountain-evacuation-12-31-20-6

Work lights were turned on inside and Cast Members were visible evacuating guests.

splash-mountain-evacuation-12-31-20-7

We learned in June 2020 that Splash Mountain at both Magic Kingdom and Disneyland would soon be re-themed to The Princess and the Frog, though no date for the re-theming has been announced. As the year went on, Splash Mountain broke down several times, including during Magic Kingdom’s reopening in July. It then went on to be temporarily closed and drained. Soon after it reopened, a log was fully submerged in August. Guests were evacuated in September. In October, things were looking up when a classic projection scene was finally restored. But only a week later, the attraction’s goose animatronic fell over and was covered in nets.

splash-mountain-down-01-01

We wish we could say Splash Mountain left its troubles in 2020, but unfortunately the ride broke down once again at 10:00 AM on January 1, 2021.

splash-mountain-entrance-2

Thankfully, this issue was not as serious as the night before and they still allowed guests into line while the ride was broken down.

splash-mountain-drop

It was back up and running within ten minutes.

How do you feel about Splash Mountain’s frequent technical issues? Let us know in the comments.

3.1 30 votes
Roberto
Roberto
6 months ago

I don’t know the history of maintenance but it sounds like they just kept putting band-aids on a real problem. I say this because a lot of companies and other places are too cheap to fix the heart of the problem untill several people get hurt or killed

Doug
Doug
6 months ago

We were there a month ago and it worked fine. It took over three tries to get on Winnie the Pooh because it kept breaking. No report on that though. Still not as many problems as Rise of the Resistance either. Great ride and I hope they decide not to re-theme it. It is my family’s favorite!

Patrick Giblin
Patrick Giblin
6 months ago

I really can’t say what is or isn’t happening technically, but can unequivocally state for the record that Disney’s Song of the South themed ride is more than a piece of Disney history and that “re-theming” it is just another way of pandering to whining liberals that would seek to eliminate all of U.S. History if allowed. Disney Inc. has very effectively attacked it’s Christian conservative family fan based solicitors and guests, and I seriously doubt that they will ever get them/us back into the parks. Disney’s go with the political flow attitude will most definitely draw a very different… Read more »

Tom D
Tom D
6 months ago

Do all of the eight people in the front boat live together? And, even if they tried to enforce distancing people in different boats, when a ride shuts down, there is a pile-up for who knows how long. Doesn’t look like an absolute minimum of 6 feet distance between the stopped boats. Yes, 6 feet should be the absolute minimum distance, although people seem to treat it as the furthest, and that is in the right conditions. Stories Ive read about Splash Mountain evacuations crystalize for me a big reason not to go to Disney World right now. I wonder… Read more »

Last edited 6 months ago by Tom D
Anthony
6 months ago

My life won’t go on as we know it with the technical problems splash mountain has

War Hunter
War Hunter
6 months ago

It may be a sign that the ride itself doesn’t like the plans for the re-design.

Stephen keane
Stephen keane
6 months ago

The reason it’s breaking down is it’s wants to stay splash mountain I think it’s stupid to change a ride 80% of the visitors don’t even know song of the south

Lisa P
Lisa P
6 months ago

Well the ride runs continuously so it will breakdown from time to time. They all do.

George Aldret
George Aldret
6 months ago

It’s a omen, should have left splash mountain the way it was instead of caving in to groups like BLM, Song of the South was a classic movie, but no you wanted to change history, thats how it was back in those days,stop trying to change it.

Last edited 6 months ago by George Aldret
Laura
Laura
6 months ago

Why is this a big deal? I’ve gotten stuck on WDW rides before. For some reason, whenever the temperatures drop in Florida, the ride stops and not always because if a passenger needing extra help embarking or disembarking the ride. Got stuck in the Haunted Mansion more than once. It was kind of cool, actually.

John M Lodge
John M Lodge
6 months ago

Was there in October 2007 off-season went on 10 x one right after the other enjoyed myself immensely wish they wouldn’t change the name hope to keep the ride going in 2021

anonymous
anonymous
6 months ago

You should know that what they say they announced about a re-theme, doesn mean it is true. Since there was no official announcement of it nor a date when it will happen, it sounds more like a lie.

Kristina
Kristina
6 months ago

Splash Mountain is a classic and memorable ride for me. It’s one of the highlights I remember from my first visit when I was 5 in 1992. I don’t care how many times it breaks down, I’ll still stand in line for it!

Ron
Ron
6 months ago

It is my favorite Disney ride ever and now I can only hope it lasts thru 2021 so I can get a few “last” rides during my visit in December. Not concerned in the least about mechanical issues, water isn’t deep enough to drown and my son actually had to walk off at one point. He thought that was a great experience on it’s own. Was last there in October of 2019 and that was my last ride on my last day before heading to the airport. That of course was before the announcement and I’ll leave that right there.

Lindy Smith
Lindy Smith
6 months ago

We were actually just there this past week and it got stuck in the same spot too. We were there for 20 minutes.

JillE
JillE
6 months ago

It’s time to shut it down, fix and re-theme it. The ride itself knows it’s time. Can’t wait for the princess and frog theme.

Marcus Ramos
6 months ago

What caused it to break down in the first place?

Krystal
Krystal
6 months ago

I shall say, should’ve let it stay as Splash Mountain, the past is fighting change. 😄

Erick Arevalo
Erick Arevalo
6 months ago

Splash Mountain at the Magic Kingdom needs to be rethemed to western with canyons and western legends from Disney.

Jean Mack
Jean Mack
6 months ago

All rides in every park have issues. I live in Ohio and cedar point rides break down all the time.