disney-genie-service-4013558

Fans Make Their Feelings Clear as Disney Genie Videos Receive Over 70% Dislikes on Disney Parks YouTube Channel

Yesterday, Disney announced major changes with the new Disney Genie service, including Genie+ and Lightning Lane, paid options to replace the formerly free FastPass service.

Now that the dust has settled, fans are making their feelings clear. Of the three announcement videos, the reactions (quantified by likes vs. dislikes) are over 70% negative for two videos (the full overview and the digital overview). The third (the initial announcement) is close behind, at around 67% negative.

This is relatively unheard of as most Disney Parks videos have overwhelmingly positive reactions. For comparison, the reactions to the video highlighting the divisive changes to the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland are 95% positive.

What are your thoughts on the new Disney Genie service? Let us know in the comments below.

As always, keep following WDWNT for all of your Disney Parks news, and for the absolute latest, follow WDW News Today on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

4.1 14 votes
Victoria
Victoria
2 months ago

Heres my opinion- I think it sounds awesome! However, people don’t want to pay extra for ANYTHING anymore becasue just going to Disney is $$$$$- BUT Disney World isn’t JUST a theme park anymore so if we want it to continue to grow and be amazing and keep it’s high standards, we gotta pay for that! It’s just how it works. If you want a cheap experience, go to six flags.

Steven
Steven
Reply to  Victoria

This mentality is what keeps companies like these charging more money.

Unsinkable Mongala Millie
Unsinkable Mongala Millie
Reply to  Victoria

High standards? Where?!

-They’ve built rides with low capacity that don’t run properly to begin with.
-Everyday a recently refurbed animatronic is breaking down.
-They haven’t been able to open anything on time in years.
-They can’t maintain the rides they already have.

But you know what, you’re right. At least they are painting everything for a magical 50th celebration. I forgot how much a bucket of paint costs.

Chuck
Reply to  Victoria

Victoria, have been coming to WDW since opening days ,we used to come several times a year with five children and the pricing was in a range that was fair and balanced. You obviously have not checked the salaries of the LEGION of Disney executives who should be fairly compensated for what they do but I think you will be amazed at the millions plus bonus millions they EACH receive then see if you feel the same at price increases.

Sad panda
Sad panda
Reply to  Victoria

3) things.
1) universal does the same thing but way more money
2)Disneyland has been testing this (fast pass max) and it was nice over there.
3)sounds like more fast passes and less wait times for my family. So thank you for going to another park.
Have a magical day

Tom Corless
Admin
Reply to  Sad panda

Max pass included all FastPass attractions, so no, not really the same.

Michelle Daniel
Michelle Daniel
Reply to  Sad panda

The “fast pass” system at Disneyland is one of the main things I dislike about Disneyland.

SeanN
SeanN
Reply to  Sad panda

But they need to fill up the hotels at DW, so that is where Disney is different than Universal.

Jolyth
Jolyth
Reply to  Sad panda

1 – Universal also includes FREE express passes for staying on site. Disney is not offering that option anymore
2 – California is overpriced anyway. And your version of “nice” doesn’t mesh with everyone else’s (no offense)
3 -Enjoy paying the bonuses for overpaid executives. Sorry but if you had been in the board meeting, you would realize this is just a cash grab.

Leo
Leo
Reply to  Victoria

Tell the people stranded on the 2 Monorails over the last few days & all those in the multiple Skyliner crashes about “Disney’s High Standards”. Prices have continued going up while the Guest experience has been degraded. I have always stayed on property because of the perks but all that is mostly gone now. I have been over 20 times and yet I am done. They will NOT be getting any more of my money. Certainly glad my son is now grown and we got to experience Disney when it WAS still magical.

Jolyth
Jolyth
Reply to  Leo

Don’t forget about how almost every day a group has to be evacuated from a ride that broke down. Or lack of oversight where people are jumping out of rides to do something stupid.

M S
M S
1 month ago
Reply to  Victoria

What exactly is it if it’s not just a theme park? I’ve been here for the last 8 days and if it’s not just a theme park then I missed something.

CampbellScot
CampbellScot
2 months ago

Genie + is just another example of the contempt the Disney company appears to have for their loyal guests. My family has spent thousands of our hard earned money at the Disney parks. We did so gladly. As soon as our vacation fund was drained we began happily planning our next trip “home” so we could line Mickey’s pockets again!! The feeling of excitement on our first glimpse of Cinderella’s Castle, the joy the trips brought to us, was the thing I chased all through the dark frigid east coast winters. It was all worth it. From Making ADR’s and… Read more »

Chris
Chris
2 months ago

Good! Maybe, just maybe, they’ll rethink some of it.

Clareloulou
Clareloulou
Reply to  Chris

Only if people don’t pay up

Karen Porter
Karen Porter
2 months ago

Left my dislike on the video. This new program is complete garbage. They are only trying to line their pocketbooks instead of actually listening to their fans on the bigger picture of things. It’s disgusting.

Elias
Elias
2 months ago

If the fans are making themselves clear regarding the Genie videos, it is interesting defining changes to the Jungle Cruise as “divisive” when the positive reaction to the videos clearly indicate otherwise.

Amanda
Amanda
2 months ago

I wish it was still called FastPass or FastPass+. Saying “I got us all Genie for Big Thunder Mountain” doesn’t have that same ring to it as “I got us all FastPass+ for Big Thunder Mountain.” Oh well.

Martin
Martin
Reply to  Amanda

This is your only concern?

Rebekah
Rebekah
2 months ago

Honestly, this makes me not want to return, which is so sad, because I love Disney. But this kind of greed is ridiculous! Sorry, Disney.

Carlos
Carlos
Reply to  Rebekah

Agree 100%. I’ll never forget how disgusted I was when I found out they were charging for premium viewing locations for the starwars parade during starwars weekends. My kids and I waited in our spot for an hour before the parade began to be sure we had a good spot. Only to be told we had to pay to stay there. Raw, kras greed!! That was the last year I bought annual passes…we were pass holders for years before then.

Walter Korschek
Walter Korschek
1 month ago
Reply to  Rebekah

Certainly agree. We had been going to Disney since the 1970s and we became annual passholders when we moved to Florida in 2005. But over time, the employees’ attitudes suffered, Disney efficiency, went downhill, and when they started charging onsite hotel customers the privilege for parking every day in the hotel parking lots then it became obvious that they only wanted to squeeze every dollar they could, the customer experience be damned.

Alisa Little
Alisa Little
2 months ago

Very disappointed in Disney, especially after announcing profits for the quarter. They have taken away so many resort guest perks and now this. Fastpass + was working so well I just don’t get them milking guests for more. Especially the ones who are so faithful in supporting them! They are watering down the magic so much and making it all about the dollar! Walt would be so disappointed!

SteveDave Russo
SteveDave Russo
Reply to  Alisa Little

I’d hardly say that Fast Pass+ was working so well

Melissa
Melissa
2 months ago

I think the new Genie/Genie + is one more way Disney makes itself just another theme park. Little by little they are taking away all the magic and I feel like this might be one of their biggest blunders to date. People don’t go on vacation to have to stay glued to apps on their phones. We usually go to WDW 2-3 times a year but I canceled all that I’ve got booked – we will be taking our money to Universal Studios from now on. At least at Universal I don’t feel like everything I’m doing is being tracked… Read more »

Jill
Jill
1 month ago
Reply to  Melissa

I’m sure planning started long ago, but it seems since the new CEO took over suddenly EVERYTHING is priced through the roof. My adult daughter & I have done a mother daughter week every year for 12 years. Our final one is starting on 9/4. It’s final because I am so angry. We stay at Yacht Club every trip. So, room prices have gone up 150.00 from what rack rate was not very long ago, magical express is leaving, we had to purchase our magic bands, and now people will be paying to ride sooner???!!!!! Where is the line drawn… Read more »

Shannon
Shannon
2 months ago

I don’t mind paying for the pass to stand in a shorter line. I’m older with bad knees and maxpass saved me (wish they had just kept that!) I DO have a problem with paying for Genie+ AND having to PAY ADDITIONAL money to ride certain rides. For crying out loud, the price of admission is high enough as it is without adding Genie+ AND having to PAY MORE to ride rides you’ve already paid admission for! The Disney dream is gone. If you aren’t a technical person, your Disney days are done. It’s so unbelievably sad what Chapek and… Read more »

Disney Attender
Disney Attender
2 months ago

This is solely to make up for lost finances due to Covid. Prices are going up on everything everywhere to make up for lost finances. Be prepared. No, I don’t agree with this but we’re going to have to get used to it, like it or not.

Steven
Steven
2 months ago

For the entertainment giant’s fiscal 2021 first quarter, which ran from October through December 2020, Disney saw revenue go from $20.9 billion in 2019 to $16.3 billion in the same period in 2020, as coronavirus shutdowns and consumer caution cut attendance at movie theaters and Disney theme parks, the company said …Feb 11, 2021 They made more money during COVID….

Michele Fryaufg
Michele Fryaufg
2 months ago

My exact thoughts. Most corporations are doing the same thing – making up for lost revenue. As if Americans haven’t been through enough.

Lyn
Lyn
2 months ago

“In the third quarter of 2021, the Walt Disney Company reported a net profit of 923 million U.S. dollars”. Now imagine what their profits will be if people “got used to it”. People vote with their pockets, if no one or very few bout the upgrades then Disney would change their tune pretty fast, especially if the rides were going empty.

ChargeMore
ChargeMore
2 months ago

This isn’t due to COVID. They first announced Genie in 2019. They used COVID as an opportunity to take away things under the guise of the pandemic. This has been in the works for a while, it was just an opportune time to make the sweeping changes they wanted to at once. Lastly, all the people whining “I’m done”….you aren’t really, tho. You’ll continue to go. For the record, Disney doesn’t read these blogs…so your empty threats to stop going really are for naught. Especially since the mouse knows you’ll all continue to go.

Arlene
Arlene
Reply to  ChargeMore

Maybe they will, but I won’t. I’ve already stopped going. There’s no more magic there for me anymore.

Dee Herr
Dee Herr
Reply to  ChargeMore

Wrong, they have read it all. They say they have gotten 70% negative comments on this system. They are listening. But people need to follow through and not buy it and promote it at all.

Jill
Jill
1 month ago
Reply to  ChargeMore

I’m DONE!!!! I’ve thought the same thing myself about grumbling and still paying. They’ve gone a step too far.

Jesse
Jesse
1 month ago
Reply to  ChargeMore

I agree they have had this in the works for some time. COVID was just the opening they used to implement it. (Kind of sick to use a virus that has killed millions, but again that’s the mentality of Chapek) Also, I keep seeing people use terms such as, ‘guests’ or ‘fans’. Those terms are no longer recognized by Disney. Those are past terms. People we are simply ‘customers’ now. Chapek is strictly a money man. It’s his base. It’s what he knows. He is and never was a ‘Disney’ man. From an investment stand point he is the man… Read more »

John BowmanWho do you think made them any money in
John BowmanWho do you think made them any money in
2 months ago

Who do you think made them any money in 2020 and 2021 ? The LOCALS and DVC members. Without those two groups they would be in a whole lot worse shape than they are now, so please don’t tell us how these two groups of people plus the great cast members should have to make up loses to hand out GIANT bonuses and more for the stock holders. Most of us are not executives or stock holders. The three groups above are the most loyal fans they have and spend the MOST money in the long term. Maybe the executives… Read more »

Arlene
Arlene
2 months ago

You don’t have to get used to it if you don’t like what they’ve done. Take your hard-earned money and go elsewhere to spend it. Somewhere you’re not being taken advantage of.

Jolyth
Jolyth
2 months ago

Yeah keep telling yourself that lie

Luke Henderson
Luke Henderson
2 months ago

I am surprised as many folks liked it, the entire program removes the previously included option for free fastpass and now states you can have it, but you need to pay extra.

Which really begs the question, if this was included as part of the ticket price, but is now removed, why has the price not gone down?

Arlene
Arlene
Reply to  Luke Henderson

You are 100% right.

Jolyth
Jolyth
Reply to  Luke Henderson

Exactly. And watch, ticket prices will continue to rise as will the cost of Genie +. Before long it will be as much, if not more than Universal

King
King
2 months ago

CEO makes it out like they are doing the park goers a favor. There is no favor we would be paying for that favor. This is just BS! There is no magic anymore unless yo pay for it.

Arlene
Arlene
Reply to  King

Actually, they are doing us a favor. They are showing us their true colors, and we can choose to go elsewhere. Now that the magic is gone, I will be gone, too. I already am.

King
King
2 months ago

Happy 50th Walt your parks are nothing like you wanted them to be. Walt fan not a Disney fan anymore!

Martin
Martin
2 months ago

Disney already makes a pitiful effort to ensure guests get their money’s worth, now apparently you have to pay extra for that

Doug
Doug
2 months ago

GREAT! Maybe Disney will listen, but I doubt it. Listening is not their strong suit lately. It’s just about woke agendas and charging more and reducing perks.

Michael Dunigan
Michael Dunigan
2 months ago

Well considering Internet media likes aren’t currency currently driving Disney’s stock price, I’m pretty sure they will be just fine. After all… The gripes on the Internet about all the other changes they’ve ever made haven’t really gotten very far (at least Anaheim still has Mr Toad) Folks want to make an impact? You have the power . Stop being a consumer. But you see…Disney knows their customer base will pay up and then some.

Rochelle ENDERTON
Rochelle ENDERTON
2 months ago

They just keep upping the ante. I say enough is enough. No to these new “programs.” Leave Fast Pass alone.

Tony Martin
2 months ago

The jury is still out for me. I know other parks charge for those front of the line perks. I’m mostly okay with that. What they are planning reminds me of the old FastPasses, when you’d hustle to a kiosk and get that little paper slip. Once you’d use one you could get another. That was a level playing ground for both day and resort guests, which isn’t the case with Genie. And that added “surcharge” for the headliner attractions – uh, no. I’ll spring for $15, but I think I’ve reached my limit. If Genie functioned like the original… Read more »

steven
steven
2 months ago

disney has changed so much , its food, its parks, the experience, every thing that made it worth wanting to go no matter the cost, its all being ruined in the name of Covid and the fleecing of guests that want to be at disney. In the long run people will continue to go to places like pigeon forge, Tn and other places that don’t cost 3 , 4 ,5 hundred dollars a person a day. since covid we have not been on rides we use to love cause of no fast passes and long lines. Disney is confusing any… Read more »

Baz
Baz
1 month ago
Reply to  steven

It seems this Genie has made much of the magic disappear.