Cinderella castle

Walt Disney World Releases Updated Information on Coronavirus Closure, Including Annual Pass Extensions and Refund Policies

As the Walt Disney World Resort prepares for a lengthy closure of its theme parks over the Coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemic beginning Monday, March 16th, the resort has released updated information concerning reservations, ticket expiration extensions, annual passes and more.

Cinderella castle

TICKETS

May I get a refund on my ticket?

Unexpired multi-day theme park tickets with unused days, or date-specific theme park tickets with a start date on or before March 31, 2020 will automatically be extended to use any date through December 15, 2020. If you are unable to visit by December 15, 2020, you may apply the value of a wholly unused ticket toward the purchase of a ticket for a future date.

Florida Resident Discover Disney Tickets may be used through July 31, 2020.

Guests who have purchased tickets for Disney After Hours, Disney Villains After Hours and Disney Early Morning Magic from March 16, 2020 through March 31, 2020 will be automatically refunded.

ANNUAL PASSES

How does the closure of Walt Disney World impact annual passes?

Walt Disney World annual passes will be extended by the number of days the parks are closed, March 16, 2020 through March 31, 2020.

RESORTS

I have a future stay at a Disney Resort hotel while the park is closed. What does that mean for my vacation?

Guests who have not checked in for stays between March 16, 2020 through March 31, 2020 may modify or cancel their Disney Resort room reservation or Walt Disney Travel Company package up to their original check-in date. If no action is taken, Disney will automatically process a refund to the original form of payment within seven days of the original check-in date. If you did not book through Disney directly, please contact your travel professional.

What if I want to cancel a Disney Resort hotel reservation after the parks reopen?

We will waive all Disney imposed change and cancellation fees up to the date of check-in through June 30, 2020.

DINING & OTHER EXPERIENCES

I have a pre-paid dining reservation or experience reservation like Droid Depot during the time when the parks are closed. Will I receive a refund?

Yes. All pre-paid dining and experience reservations will be automatically refunded if scheduled between March 16, 2020 through March 31, 2020.

What happens to dining reservations that required a credit card at the time of booking?

Reservations made at locations impacted by the closure will not be charged a cancellation or no-show fee.

As of the writing of this article, resort hotels and Disney Springs will remain open during the park closures. Keep reading WDWNT for continuing coverage on this ongoing story.

MORE:

Walt Disney World Resort Website Experiencing Occasional Unavailability Following Announcement of Temporary Park Closure

BREAKING: Walt Disney World Resort Closing Temporarily Over Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic

Reedy Creek Fire Department Reports Seven Walt Disney World Firefighters and EMTs Currently Under Quarantine for Coronavirus

David lane
David lane
7 months ago

Traveling to Orlando just for Disney World and now I find out it will be closed!!!!! What do I need to do to get my money back instead of a gift card that I will never use!!! We are talking about 1,000 dollars!!! I NEED MY MONEY RETURNED BY DISNEY!!!!!! Way to go Disney World cost all my vacation money and days now I have to not have vacation and going to loose all my vacation money!!! You people are not right

Kyle
Kyle
Reply to  David lane

Same here….I don’t want a credit. I want my money back

Mark
Mark
7 months ago

Did they publish anything about an extension to Tables in Wonderland cards?

Abdul
Abdul
Reply to  Mark

good point.
Hopefully during this time, mydisney experience app will still work and folks can make FPs, dining reservations etc.
And if lucky even snag a ROW boarding group (like a few weeks ago, some did it from maine lol)

Shelly Bloch
Shelly Bloch
7 months ago

I love Disney but this ticket refund policy is horrible. My family was suppose To enjoy Disney World and then go on the cruise. Due to the Virus it was cancelled on us ( totally get it) But… Now disney is saying it will not refund our park passes? I have a college age daughter and her 3 friends that booked tickets for 1 day At Epcot to come spend with her Family and Grandparents. They will not be rebooking this trip anytime soon as they all graduate this year and will be busy starting their lives. With that said… Read more »

Monica HOAR
Monica HOAR
Reply to  Shelly Bloch

i agree totally we are from Montana and planned and now we have been cancelled and have no possible date in sight to rebook this trip due to other prescheduled events.

Vanessa Saenz
Vanessa Saenz
Reply to  Shelly Bloch

I completely agree- my husband is a federal officer and his vacation weeks are planned out for the entire year. We will not be able to return this year and don’t know when we will in the future since my daughter is also starting college. We bought three adult tickets and one child for six day park hopper.. that is VERY expensive. I think this policy is unfair and refunds should be processed for those that aren’t able to make future plans.

Donna M Clearie
Donna M Clearie
Reply to  Shelly Bloch

I agree with Shelly, my daughter has $800 in tickets with no idea if she can ever use them in the future. They should be refundable , I always thought of Disney as being a respectable enterprise this is not fair. Some have financial hardships and need the refund back.

Surferchix
Surferchix
7 months ago

If they have financial hardships, why did they book in the first place??

Kyle
Kyle
Reply to  Surferchix

really?
Do you realize people are losing their jobs since the virus? They had their jobs when they book their trips.

V Kyle
V Kyle
7 months ago

Same….you would think they would do the right thing. Post on Twitter. Maybe if enough people post, they may change the policy

Timothy Cochrane
Timothy Cochrane
Reply to  Shelly Bloch

I highly doubt they told you they won’t refund park tickets.

Shannon
Shannon
7 months ago

Yes they have said they will not refund park tickets!! Only extend! 😡

Fran
Fran
Reply to  Shannon

told me same, will not refund and will extend till dec. 15th 2020

Dom
Dom
7 months ago

I was denied a refund also. Guy just said the value of the ticket won’t expire and I can apply the value I paid to another ticket even if they expire. So yes they are denying refunds on tickets.

Debbie Nani
Debbie Nani
Reply to  Shelly Bloch

Did you actually talk to someone? I cant get thru and my vacation was supposed to start this sunday

Angela Hawkins
Angela Hawkins
Reply to  Debbie Nani

Ours too. We are staying at a Disney resort and are already checked in.

Heather
Heather
Reply to  Shelly Bloch

Agreed we are in the same boat.

JK Gunn
JK Gunn
Reply to  Shelly Bloch

I agree. We purchased theme park tickets for our college age student and a friend from Brazil for Spring Break. Now, we’re sol. Especially with the Brazilian student who is heading home in June.

Ron
Ron
Reply to  Shelly Bloch

This whole thing a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. Don’t SLEEP through Great Moment with Mr. Lincoln: PAY ATTENTION At what point shall we expect the approach of danger? By what means shall we fortify against it? Shall we expect some trans-Atlantic military giant to step the ocean and crush us at a blow? Never! All the armies of Europe, Asia, and Africa combined could not, by force, take a drink from the Ohio or make a track on the Blue Ridge in a trial of a thousand years. At what point, then, is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer,… Read more »

Just me
Just me
Reply to  Shelly Bloch

My son and his friends are in a similar situation. All will be graduated in May and working full-time jobs – no telling when they will be able to go to Disney World again. They need to issue refunds.

Customer Satisfaction
Customer Satisfaction
Reply to  Shelly Bloch

Meanwhile if you bought your tickets through any re-seller instead of directly through Disney, you can get a full refund pretty easily.

𝔹𝕠𝕓 ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕖𝕜
𝔹𝕠𝕓 ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕖𝕜
7 months ago

Do I get a refund on my Runaway Railway FastPass on Monday?

Piper
Piper
7 months ago

This was supposed to be my first time ever going to Disney so you can imagine how sad I am. I purchased the one park admission ticket on the 17th for my boyfriend and me and now I’m really disappointed that I probably can’t even get a refund for that cause it’s not a multi-day ticket or after hour pass. I’m a college student so it was a lot of money I invested in Disney. I was so excited and the refund policy is ridiculous. I have no interest in even coming to Disney at all now.

Nasty Boi
Nasty Boi
Reply to  Piper

It’s a blessing in disguise. One day at WDW is not enough. Save up and return for when you can do all the parks and then some.

Bill
Bill
7 months ago

OK…we’re concerned about your safety and our cast members’ safety…but we’re staying open through the weekend. WHY?

Shannon
Shannon
Reply to  Bill

Same reason they won’t give us a refund! GREED!!!

Sam
Sam
7 months ago

This policy is ridiculous. THEY CHOOSE TO CLOSE THE PARKS!!!! I can cancel my hotel but not get a refund on my tickets. SHAME ON YOU DISNEY. This is NOT the right thing to do.!!!!!! If we chose a refund, you should refund out $$ because if was DISNEY that locked us out of the park on our Spring Break

Henry Feddern
Henry Feddern
7 months ago

I purchased a 4-day Florida Resident Discover Disney in January. I am 81 years old, and there is no way I will feel safe going to Disney World before July 31, 2020. This one-month extension of my ticket is outrageous. Either extend it until December 15, as they are doing for multi-day theme park tickets, or refund my money. I will not go anywhere until a vaccine for Covid-19 is available.

Working Families
Working Families
7 months ago

Time for a class action lawsuit! Full refunds must be issued or its theft for failure to provide a service.

Shannon
Shannon
7 months ago

That’s exactly what we are going to do!! Disney make millions if not billions and are not going to refund !! I’m sure we will find a good lawyer who will love to take our case!

Brenda Cloutier
7 months ago

Our family’s tickets were for the end of March and beginning of April. We live in Michigan. That’s a long way to travel to see if they really do reopen on April 1, yet the April tickets won’t be reissued. Extending just a few months up until Mid December does not work for my family. They changed the refund rules deal when they closed the park. They MUST be required to refund our money.

Dawn brice
Dawn brice
6 months ago

I’ve looked at the new 2021 ultimate pass for all parks sea world and universal had gone up £91 .im in the uk and due to bring my son and grandson may14th.thats £91 per ticket they definitely should at least extend your valid tickets until a years time or I won’t be going ..this would’ve been my 6th visit plus 2 in euro Disney .i hope they freeze prices 👍it’s the right thing to do !

Michelle
Michelle
7 months ago

Technically, all they have to do is offer some sort of recourse, which they have, and they are in the clear.
They offered to honor them at any time in the future, it is then, up to you if you choose to use them.

Anne
Anne
7 months ago

Omg..this is a terrible policy considering the circumstances. We were to be there April 4th for 4 days of park fun. We have cancelled the trip and we won’t get an extension on our paid for tickets! That is unacceptable. We had hopes to return in the fall.

Surferchix
Surferchix
Reply to  Anne

What are you talking about? they clearly state they will honor them for a future date.

Anne
Anne
6 months ago
Reply to  Anne

I got a full refund on Friday! We will rebook our trip when the world returns to normal. Thanks Disney, for doing the right thing.

Sharon
Sharon
7 months ago

They will pay the staff which is appropriate but will not refund park tickets. Some people either can’t afford to reschedule again by the end of the year or for various reasons can not use the tickets. Great loss of money for the families that Disney want us to believe they care for.

4 ernieg
4 ernieg
7 months ago

Will Disneyland extend the AP’s as well ?

Misskristeenah
Misskristeenah
7 months ago

Is the passholder information the same for Disneyland? I couldn’t find anything and my pass expires on March 30th….

Angela Hawkins
Angela Hawkins
7 months ago

Does anyone know if we can get a refund or switch out dates if we are already checked into our Disney resort? We were supposed to be there this Sunday for a week?
There are instructions on what to do if you haven’t checked in but not for the people who have already checked in.

Bob
Bob
7 months ago

We were booked from the 13-20th at a Disney resort with 7 day passes for two adults and two children. The park closure was announced less than 24 hours before our flight departure to Orlando. Disney’’s policy states they are offering refunds for events booked after the park closes on the 16th. I’m currently seeing charge alerts on my Amex from what I presume is a “missed dining reservation.” We have prepaid dining experiences set up on the 15th and according to Disney’s policy we would not qualify for refund. Disney is unreachable by phone. While this whole situation is… Read more »

Bob
Bob
Reply to  Bob

Update: I was finally able to reach Disney today by phone. The entire process took about two hours of combined hold time. If you call, and have multiple reservations (ie hotel, resort, tickets, dining, pre-paid experiences), you can probably cut that time by trying to navigate their menu directly to Guest Services. They were able to address the cancellation fees for dining reservations, as well as our pre-paid experiences that were set to take place from the 13-15 (ie before the official closure). They were also able to arrange for a refund of our resort stay. Park tickets are still… Read more »

Arlene
Arlene
7 months ago

My daughter purchased tickets and cannot make a return trip. She needs a refund. I hope Disney realizes that this is a special circumstance and refunds should be issued. This raincheck policy is wrong.

Kevin
Kevin
Reply to  Arlene

I’m from NY , I have two 4day passes for April 15th that were $815 ,Disney is saying that they will be closed through March , however who really know’s when they will open back up? I’m not settling for a credit I want a full refund !

Anne Kotler
Anne Kotler
7 months ago

My in laws were coming from Israel for my daughter’s wedding at the end of May. I bought their tickets, their flights are booked (so far). They are considering cancelling, because everything keeps changing so fast. I doubt they will come before the end of the year at this point. The tickets are non transferable, so I can’t even use them. This is $1500 worth of tickets!

Liane Elms
Liane Elms
7 months ago

I am booked to stay at Old Key West for 10 nights with the Disney dining plan. I have booked directly with Disney. If I decide to come and stay at OKW can I use the DDP but claim back the cost of the park tickets if the parks are still closed? Any ideas? Many thanks

Shannon Thomas Nutt
Shannon Thomas Nutt
7 months ago

Hey people complaining about the tickets not being refunded. Read again. If you’re not planning to come again to Disney this year, you can use the money you paid for tickets as credit for tickets for ANY FUTURE YEAR…you’ll just have to pay the difference of any ticket price increase. So unless you were NEVER coming to Disney again, you’re not losing out on anything. The only people getting “screwed” are ones that never planned to come to Disney again at all.

Kyle
Kyle
7 months ago

You don’t get it! People are losing their jobs right now because of this virus. They’re being layed off. A credit isn’t going to do anyone any good. People need their cash back. Why is that so hard to understand?

Mike
Mike
7 months ago

Disneyworld refuses to refund my tickets. They closed the park in Orlando, which cancels my family trip. The four seasons allowed me to cancel our hotel rooms, but Disney is keeping my ticket fees. UNBELIEVABLE! I can’t believe this is how they treat their patrons. I can understand closing the park, but keeping my prepaid ticket fee is just criminal. We won’t be able to go for another year so it doesn’t do us any good to “postpone” the use of the tickets. I encourage people to think hard with whom they want to spend their money because Disney does… Read more »