Mandatory Two-Week Quarantine Extended Indefinitely for Visitors Traveling to Florida from New York Tri-State Area

The Florida Department of Health has now extended the mandate stating that guests traveling to Florida from the Tri-State area are required to self-isolate for 14 days. Previously, the order had been extended through July 7th, but according to officials, no official end date has been established for these restrictions.

In a recent update, Governor DeSantis announced that all individuals entering the state of Florida from Connecticut, New Jersey, and New York must isolate or quarantine themselves for a period of 14 days. The order was originally set to end on May 8th. Upon calling the Florida Department of Health COVID-19 hotline today, we were informed that there is no end date identified for these restrictions, and that the restrictions are therefore extended indefinitely. Quarantine should be in effect from the time of entry into Florida or the duration of the individual’s presence in Florida, whichever is shorter.

Roadside checkpoints on I-10 and I-95 are set up to screen for potential COVID-19 cases. The rule will not apply to students travelling for the purpose of academic work, internships, sports training and any other activity or program approved by their institution. All those isolating are responsible for their own costs associated with their quarantine.

If you live in the Tri-State area and have been planning a trip to Walt Disney World within the coming month, we encourage you to check with your travel agent for any potential changes. In the meantime, any and all changes to these mandates will be listed on the Florida Health Department’s website first and foremost.

2 6 votes
Matthew
Matthew
3 months ago

Discrimination. Our numbers in CT are lower than Florida.

Rick
Rick
3 months ago

Hoping I’m good for July 26th..

Rick
Rick
3 months ago

Junior Olympics coming at end of July, can’t see them enforcing the Tri State thing into that event.

William B Jones
William B Jones
3 months ago

That is kind of BS. Seems like a easy way to wave off the increased covid cases as not being from people in florida.

nikki
nikki
3 months ago

does anyone know why it is just these 3 states at this point? There are plenty of other states with surging numbers (sadly) and I am wondering why they aren’t on this list

Lino
Lino
3 months ago

Florida has some nerve, the tri-state area is in much better shape then Florida With COVID 19.
NJ has been on a steady decline and Fla is rising!

Last edited 3 months ago by Lino
BeTe
BeTe
3 months ago

We live in a resort community just outside of Disney World. Within the last 2 weeks, we had vacation rentals in our building from NJ, Colorado, Alabama, Illinois, Texas, and Venezuela. Florida is blowing up with new cases higher than April and March. No one but us wears masks… no one! I guess the plan going forward is everybody going to get infected? It is crazy around here, bars and restaurants packed, it’s like there never was a pandemic, but today alone over 1900 new cases. No one cares. We’re petrified at this point.

Tootsie
Tootsie
3 months ago

For what reason! We don’t have an issue up here and want to head to Disney as Annual Passholders! Discrimination!

Lou
Lou
3 months ago

This sounds more like a political decision from Governor Santos since New York is at the lowest infection level since the beginning while Florida’s rate is reaching new highs. If anything, Governor Santos should be quarantined if he visits the Big Apple.

Vickie Nagy
Vickie Nagy
3 months ago

I was on 95 and came into Florida and no one checked any of the cars coming thru. So I’m confused as to how checking works?

Kiryu Dojima
Kiryu Dojima
3 months ago

Tom, can you please find out what is considered “Tri-State Area”? I live in Central NY near Syracuse, and we just entered Phase 3 of reopening. I hope my trip to WDW in early August is not jeopardized by this chicanery.

Teresita Medynski
Teresita Medynski
Reply to  Kiryu Dojima

As a kid in NJ, I knew Tri State area to mean all of NJ, NY and CT. Not sure if they’re speaking of where the three states converge?

Michelle
Michelle
Reply to  Kiryu Dojima

Did you ever find out an answer to this question? I live in a Syracuse suburb with a trip planned to Florida to visit my mom and dad in August. The “tri-state” area is a term of art that references the NYC area and I have NEVER heard it used to mean the entire state of NY, especially not us here upstate! I am hoping to find an answer within the next few weeks to know whether I will cancel our trip or not and I cant find anything anywhere!

Alicia franchi
Alicia franchi
2 months ago
Reply to  Kiryu Dojima

I just came from Syracuse, NY last night. I am a FL resident and went through the check point. Was told and FORCED to sign an agreement to quarantine my family and I.

Margaret Thoma
Margaret Thoma
3 months ago

To the State of Florida, Upstate NY is not NYC. We have been maintaining at 1% positive for Covid for over a month! It is not fair to be lumped together with the Metro areas of Tri State!

Pamela DiCarlo-Schermerhorn
Pamela DiCarlo-Schermerhorn
Reply to  Margaret Thoma

I agree!!! We are always paying the price for New York City and their problems. Phase 3 is in affect.

Donna
Donna
3 months ago

That would mean a family would then have to have a 3 week(minimum) schedule to go. 2 weeks for quarantine, 1 week for Disney. You’ll find a lot of people will not think it is worth it.

Lee
Lee

This is ironic, considering Florida’s case numbers 😬

Matty
Matty
Reply to  Lee

Florida numbers are very low. Tri-state has almost half of all deaths from Covid. Not that I agree with 2 week quarantine but that is the reason.

Ann
Ann
3 months ago

So does this apply to residents of upstate NY, i.e. Rochester and Buffalo? Is there clarity somewhere? They seem to use NY and NY tri-state interchangeably. How can we find out a clear answer?

Last edited 3 months ago by Ann
Noraima
Noraima
3 months ago

How is it that we are not restricting any other states and they are discriminating us.
I’m sure Florida has a lot more cases than
New York State.

Ang
Ang
3 months ago

We are in WNY and were supposed to go to Siesta Key from July 11th-18th. I received a call from the condo, where we were staying, early this week stating that it’s not looking too good for us in terms of them being able to rent the unit to us. I mentioned that the rates in FL have spiked exponentially while the numbers here have sharply declined, besides we are not NYC. She said none of that matter. Ok, fine. She suggested that I call her back on the afternoon of July 6th to see what the update is. Guess… Read more »