Star Wars Galaxy's Edge DL

CEO Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Park Pass System, Virtual Queues are Here to Stay

After addressing capacity, Disney CEO Bob Chapek spoke about theme park technology today at the J.P. Morgan Global Technology, Media, and Communications Conference.

Chapek cited the new Disney Park Pass theme park reservation system and virtual queues, such as the boarding groups for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, as examples of how technology helped guests stay safe during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Virtual queues are a hot topic in the theme park community, with many guests either loving or hating the system. However, the virtual queue process has already undergone many changes to make it easier for guests, and Disney will likely continue to hone the process.

Chapek specifically stated that the Disney Park Pass theme park reservation system would remain in place beyond the scope of the pandemic. However, this is not new information as the Park Pass calendars for Walt Disney World already extend into 2023.

Stay tuned to WDWNT for more Disney Parks news.

5 2 votes
Notify of
guest

Doug
Doug
29 days ago

Park pass isnt a huge deal for me as you were already tied to a park with fast pass and dining reservations anyway. You can park hop somewhere else later. They need to fix the virtual though. We never could get on rise of the resistance on our last trip. If virtual signups were done like the old fast passes, where you get a ticket and come back later, it might work better.

John
John
Reply to  Doug

It’s a HUGE deal for their local AP holders! Honestly, we wouldn’t live here or even have an AP if it was like this when we moved.

Rachelle Tunik
Rachelle Tunik
Reply to  John

I agree. I will not buy another annual pass. The park reservation system greatly decreases the value of having one. It turns a great thing into a stressful thing. Waste of time and money

Catherine Gee
Catherine Gee
Reply to  Doug

I liked the fast pass, we did a few theme parks everyday. I will check out France Disney theme park.

Annoyed guest
Annoyed guest
29 days ago

That’s annoying. Stuff like FastPasses and Virtual Queues are beneficial to Disney, but also give guests something of value in return. The park reservation system is really only good for Disney.

Grumpy
Grumpy
29 days ago

I won’t be going there anytime soon. The idea of Reserving to go to a park destroys the spur of the moment enjoyment that Disney was. Too bad. I hope all the die hard fans cry after they had to battle to give Disney their money. Pathetic at best

Dana Ross
Dana Ross
Reply to  Grumpy

I live here in Kissimmee and have an annual pass. That was actually one of the reasons I got one, so that at any moment I could just go to a park. I would have dinner and, say oh I want so and so for dessert over in Animal Kingdom, and just go. Or have a rough day at work and say, I need to go to relieve some stress, and run over to a Disney park and just relax and get steps in or grab a bite and a snack and people watch. Not any more. I have to… Read more »

Thx Disney
Thx Disney
27 days ago
Reply to  Grumpy

My family drive from NY to Fla each summer and Disney was always a sure stop during the week. Now it seems our trips won’t include a Disney park anymore, as the ability to just go when we wanted to, or not when we felt not to, is gone. Why would I now want to plan a trip when I can go to a Disney, rather than plan a Disney day during a trip I can schedule?

Derfallbright
Derfallbright
9 days ago
Reply to  Grumpy

In a way having a reservation system is a good thing of you are traveling a long way to get here. Vacations with airfair and hotel reservations are very expensive….being sure you can get in is not really any different from having a reservation at your favorite restaurant for your anniversary.

With attendance caps it requires advanced planning. When attendance levels get back to normal there should be lots of reservations available for same day entry. There will likely be walkup reservations available during off peak times.

Last edited 9 days ago by Derfallbright
Fabian
Fabian
7 days ago
Reply to  Grumpy

gee, you’re right, this whole Disney Park pass reservation is getting too lame. :I Disney REALLY needs to remove the reservation and the virtual queues and bring back the Disney Fastpasses real soon.

Roland
29 days ago

That’s awful as a annual passholder that totally ruins the fun of going hey let’s hop over to magic kingdom this weekend or let’s go to Epcot tonight for a nice meal after work.

John
John
Reply to  Roland

Agree with you 100%!

May
May
Reply to  Roland

You would think that they can make it at least so that entrance during dinner is allowed any time.

Dana Ross
Dana Ross
Reply to  Roland

Exactly

STeve
STeve
28 days ago
Reply to  Roland

as someone who only goes 1 week a year tops im glad annual passholders cant get in whenever they want. it ruins the experience for those who only go periodically. Do you really need to go on rides once a week. grow up.

Joshua D'Arts
Joshua D'Arts
28 days ago
Reply to  STeve

If you only go one week a year, our spontaneous Disney trips have little to no affect on your petty little vacation… don’t be a Debby downer. Nobody wants that crap here

Billy
Billy
26 days ago
Reply to  STeve

Imagine having season passes to a football team. Only to find out you have to reserve ahead of time which games you wanted to go to otherwise they would fill up to capacity. And you are still being charged full price for the season pass.

Football fans would lose their minds if this was the case.

Danielle
Danielle
10 days ago
Reply to  STeve

Well that’s your problem you can only go 1 week a year. I don’t see how an Annual Passholder could ruin your experience. Sounds like there are other issues here that you might want to work out.

Jesse Goodwin
Jesse Goodwin
7 days ago
Reply to  Roland

Agree Walt Disney won’t accept this if he was still alive today

Tommy
Tommy
29 days ago

Gone are the days of spontaneous trips to Disney, I don’t like this new way. ):

Dana Ross
Dana Ross
Reply to  Tommy

I agree. This was the joy and ease of it for me. I understood and was fine with it while we were going through all the covid stuff but now maybe for passholders they could give more lead way.

Pete
Pete
29 days ago

I get the virtual queue system. They need to do something better than fast pass +. With FP+ most of the time they managed to create a secondary standby line of people w/ FP+ due to their over allocation compared to the resort capacity. But the park reservations is just a way to get the $ benefits of annual passes and open ended tickets and still make everything work with reserved capacity of individual tickets per day. That’s a crappy way to “manage capacity” That’s just a way of maximizing their attendance while minimizing their resources for the day. Great… Read more »

Kevin
Kevin
Reply to  Pete

Exactly.
Once again it’s all about Disney getting more money and taking more away from your dollar value. They have been slowly and but consistently taking away more and more all while the prices go up and up. There is basically zero benefit to staying on site anymore.

As for their plan for a third strike, in my opinion they’re on about their 10 strike now.

Randy W
Randy W
29 days ago

I hope the virtual queue applies to all the rides. If I have to wait an hour for a ride, let me at least do it while eating lunch, kill two birds with one stone. I’d likely spend more time in shops if I’m killing time waiting for my turn in a virtual queue.

Marquita B.
Marquita B.
Reply to  Randy W

I think the virtual queue will only be for E-ticket attractions. Ratatouille seems like it would have a virtual queue when it opens in October.

Minnie
Minnie
28 days ago
Reply to  Randy W

Honestly I’d like to go into the queue

Eric
Eric
27 days ago
Reply to  Randy W

Doesn’t work that way. For Ride of the Resistance, even when you are lucky enough to win the “ride lottery” there was still a 45 minute wait after my time was called to get on the ride.

Eric M
Eric M
29 days ago

Did this tool box short a bunch of Disney stock or something?

Enron had better cooperate leadership

John
John
Reply to  Eric M

Between this and their political views, it’s getting disgusting.

MD Wright
MD Wright
29 days ago

The virtual que system is a complete disaster. My family traveled from Missouri to specifically ride The Rise Of The Resistance but was unable to reserve after multiple attempts on multiple days. Very frustrating.

I asked Disney for a refund but they refused. I call it false advertising to lure me into their park under false enticement to ride their “newest” attraction but then unable to do so. What kind of business sells a service and then doesn’t deliver on that promise? A bad one. My family will NEVER return to Disney as a result of this ridiculously dumb system.

BCL1
BCL1
28 days ago
Reply to  MD Wright

It sounds like you were either unlucky or didn’t try early enough. As a former Disney employee at ROR, I can honestly say that happens a lot — the worst is for people that travel from other countries and don’t have a good command of the English language. They wouldn’t understand the system at all and were at a distinct disadvantage when it came to getting in the Virtual Que. I have to say that I felt genuinely sorry for people that were in the situation of traveling far just for ROR and were not able to experience the attraction… Read more »

Joe
Joe
29 days ago

Bad move Bob…. Bring back fastpass and allow annual pass holders the ability to actual go to the park…. C’mon man

Catherine Gee
Catherine Gee
29 days ago

I won’t be going to Disney World, it ruins the fun of being with people.

Jon Coppinger
Jon Coppinger
29 days ago

CEO Bob Chapek needs to go.

Sam
Sam
29 days ago

If the park reservation system is going to reflect true pre-pandemic capacities, I guess its not that big of a deal since parks only reached capacity on a few days a year (Christmas, NYE, etc) but if its going to make a last minute planned weekend getaway at some random time of year a challenge then that is outright horrible.

Joshua D'Arts
Joshua D'Arts
28 days ago
Reply to  Sam

Great point!!

Greg
Greg
29 days ago

Park Pass is ridiculous once capacity reaches 100%. The Park pass system was meant to close off a park once it reaches capacity due to restrictions.

I hate the idea that I can’t take a last minute trip to the parks because everything is booked up.(Or at least I can’t go to a park I want because it’s been booked for 3 months)

Now I have to plan months in advance for an impulsive trip???

Kevin
Kevin
29 days ago

The Park Pass system is ridiculous once they are back to normal operating protocols.

For example, We stay at Fort Wilderness, and my kids would oten take the boat over to Magic Kingdom to grab breakfast and then come back to Fort Wilderness before we hit our park for the day. Now they can only do that on the 2 days(eg.) that we have Magic Kingdom reservations.

Ridiculous!

May
May
29 days ago

The virtual queue needs to be more equitable. There are people who get on RotR every day while others never make it because their phone or their fingers aren’t fast enough.

MD Wright
MD Wright
28 days ago
Reply to  May

That was our problem as well. How many people reserved for the morning session also reserved for the afternoon session while others couldn’t get on even once. You literally could buy passes for 7 days straight and have no guarantee of ever getting on that ride….that is a complete rip off and I am no longer attending the park for that reason alone.

JasonO
JasonO
26 days ago
Reply to  MD Wright

You can only get one RoR pass per day.

Louise A
Louise A
29 days ago

Disappointed with Disney – made park reservations back in February for May after visiting the park in February ( it was safe and only 1/2 people occupancy) found it great . Just went and they open the doors to all ! What the hell – they should if waited until all the reservations people were done with !! Plus star wars should of opened there on Park – not part of Hollywood studios! Much too crowded don’t think I’ll ever go back there again

cheryl Bruce
cheryl Bruce

Can you get a FASTPASS

Helena
Helena
29 days ago

If the park reservation system is here to stay, they need to give AP holders more than three days to book.

Dave
Dave
28 days ago
Reply to  Helena

If the park reservation system is here to stay, I simply won’t be going. There is MUCH more to central florida than just Disney and I speak as a person that’s been a lifelong Disney fan who has been going there since there was only a Magic Kingdom and 2 hotels. I vote with my wallet and Disney’s ridiculousness overall has lost me for now. Perhaps future changes in favor of it’s guests can change my mind, time will tell.

Joshua D'Arts
Joshua D'Arts
28 days ago
Reply to  Helena

Another great point!! I just renewed my AP with the hope that by this time next year most things will be back to normal but now this gives me doubt… I just want FP back and to be able to go to a park for a couple hours at the end of the day without having to deal with park reservations being unavailable even though I have the top AP </3

Robert
Robert
29 days ago

Well, there is no reason to buy an AP now. Thanks for making me save 1200 dollars, Chapek

Last edited 29 days ago by Robert
Bianca F
Bianca F
21 days ago
Reply to  Robert

That’s exactly what he wants. He doesn’t value APs, he thinks they’re in the way of his 1 time a year vacation guests. When, if they took the time to do the research or count the numbers, they’d see APs spend just as much if not more over the course of a year at the parks and resorts than once a year families do.

Last edited 21 days ago by Bianca F