shopDisney Fails Again with Another Limited Edition Merchandise Release, Allows Bots Placing Hundreds of Orders, and Refuses to Address Security Breach

If you were one of the people trying to add to your Minnie Mouse: The Main Attraction collection this past Saturday, I feel for you. But you should have known what to expect, because shopDisney shows no signs of getting their act together with these online merchandise releases.

If you haven’t been following our trials and tribulations with shopDisney, you can go back and read about the broken site charging people multiple times for April’s Minnie Mouse merchandise release, the Joe Rohde Ear Hat fiasco where the coveted set of ears sold out in seconds thanks to bots scooping up all the inventory before you and I even had a chance, and the May the Fourth disaster where a security breach exposed shoppers’ account information to other users.

After the first two merchandise releases, shopDisney put in place a “virtual waiting room” for the May the Fourth release that we hoped would solve the problem. Unfortunately, it seemed to do nothing at all, and shopDisney tweeted almost two hours after the release time that they were aware of the “aware of the technical issues.” That’s pretty ridiculous, as I was aware of the technical issues right at 10:00 AM when the whole site crashed. That it took them almost two hours to acknowledge is problem is pretty poor customer service, to say the least.

Just when you think things were going to get fixed, it got worse. Thanks to a security breach of some sort, logged-in users were able to see other customers’ account information. A number of customers claimed in the comments section of our article as well as social media that they had seen the account information of other users, and shortly afterward we saw several instances where users received an email that someone else had logged into their account. It is worth nothing that this security breach has still not been addressed by ShopDisney at all. Is it even legal to ignore customers notifying a company of security breaches?

So it was with trepidation that I logged on to shopDisney on Saturday to attempt to purchase some of the Minnie Mouse merch. Before the 10:00 AM ET release, I was greeted with another virtual waiting room message. At least this time, the waiting room was open before the site crashed right at 10AM.

Other than a different graphic, it seemed to me that this virtual waiting room was no different than the one that didn’t work on May the Fourth. After I was able to access the site, I still couldn’t add products to my bag without several attempts, and checkout didn’t work at all.

At 10:29AM, shopDisney tweeted that “due to overwhelming demand” they were having technical difficulties, surprising no one.

Perusing the replies to that tweet shows a plethora of angry shoppers, some of whom spent hours trying to buy this merchandise only to find it sold out.

But what makes the situation worse is that part of the issue with all of these merchandise releases is that automated bots are swooping in, bypassing the waiting room, and placing multiple orders for these items, while us humans are attempting to check out in vain. And the people running the bots are doing it purely to profit by reselling the merchandise on eBay. How do we know this? Because they brag about it all over Twitter.

As a Disney collector, this makes me angry that these people are simply reselling their purchases at inflated prices on eBay, while I can’t even click the checkout button. Note also that access to the bots is restricted and costs money, so the bot makers are getting a windfall at the hands of desperate Disney shoppers. At least when there’s a merchandise release in the parks, I have the option of waking up at 3AM to get in line, and the limit of one or two items is enforced. These people are not only evading the waiting room, they are evading the limits and placing multiple orders with fake accounts to get 4, 6, or more of items that are limited to one per person. This has been going on for over a month now and shopDisney refuses to address the problem, refuses to fix their broken shopping site, knowingly allows bots to place multiple orders, and refuses to accept any accountability or responsibility for all of these problems. In this day and age, hundreds of well-known companies run online shopping sites, and none of them are as bad as shopDisney. In fact, Disney is releasing their Year of the Mouse Mickey Plush series on Amazon, presumably because they know shopDisney can’t handle it.

shopDisney higher-ups must know about these problems, as their tweets get hundreds of replies and complaints. But they refuse to do anything to fix it. Why? I wish I knew. Either it’s gross incompetence, managers who don’t care, or maybe they are actively trying to anger their customers. In any case, this is not a very good way to do business, and certainly not worthy of the Disney brand. Unfortunately, the Walt Disney Company of today continues to show that they are not the same as the Disney I grew up with in the ’80s and ’90s, and that makes me sad.

Notify of
guest

Mimi
Mimi
14 days ago

Jigged is actually a pyramid scheme in that only a few people are running the bots but make it sound like anyone can access them if they pay $75/month. It’s like the guys on Twitter who claim to be rich off a side hustle but all they really do is try to sell people a $20 book from their mother’s basement. Shop Disney is a mess and bots are buying up the stock, for sure, but giving scammers a platform on WDWNT isn’t a great idea.

Kirsten
Kirsten
12 days ago
Reply to  Mimi

The fact that this has 452 downvotes when like 10 people read their tweet says everything. You are absolutely right. Huge scam.

Jay
Jay
14 days ago

“Unfortunately, the Walt Disney Company of today continues to show that they are not the same as the Disney I grew up with in the ’80s and ’90s”

I think that assuming that issues with dealing with shopping-bots reflects a complete transformation of a company’s culture is very silly. Yes, their shopping site has issues and is overwhelmed with customer service issues (especially now, when it’s the only access people have to merchandise). That doesn’t reflect their excellent customer service in other departments.

Tom Corless
Admin
13 days ago
Reply to  Jay

We deal with all departments, it’s not like the service is radically different for other arms of the company. The park websites have all sorts of issues.

LivingWithTheLand
LivingWithTheLand
14 days ago

Why do I have a hunch that the latest corporate shakeups are related to this?

kelli howard
kelli howard
14 days ago

really wish we’d ditch the whole limited marketing ploy altogether i don’t buy because its limited i buy because i like the item. also backorder, avaliablility notifications, or wait list options would be nice.

kelli
kelli
14 days ago

AND FOR THE LOVE OF MICKEY STOP LETTING ME BUY SOMTHING ONLY TO REFUND ME A WEEK LATER BECAUSE THE ITEM WAS “SOLD OUT” LEAVING ME NO RECORSE BUT TO BUY IT LATER OFTEN AT A HIGHER PRICE BECAUSE ITS NOT ON SALE ANYMORE

Stephanie
Stephanie
14 days ago

I was charged 6 times this time for the same mug on Saturday and it took me an hour to checkout. I was charged twice in April for that mug and it took 1hr & 45 mins that time to check out.

Karina
Karina
12 days ago
Reply to  Stephanie

Me too! It took me over an hour and my bank account was hit 3 times!

Angelica
Angelica
14 days ago

I totally feel this because I really wanted this months Minnie too, because I am collecting them and with the parks not being open it has been really hard to get them. To the point I was literally crying Saturday morning, because I wasn’t going to be able to buy this months Minnie (at least not from shopdisney)

Ted
Ted
Reply to  Angelica

Oh what a pitty.

Sam
Sam
13 days ago
Reply to  Ted

At least spell your moronic insults right. *Pity

Kay
Kay
Reply to  Angelica

I feel your pain! I wanted this one as well!

Stacy
Stacy
14 days ago

This is disgusting. It makes me think Disney doesn’t care, it’s all about the money 🤑 for them. What people need to do is not buy the merchandise from the eBay vultures. I know it’s easier to say that sometimes than to actually follow through. Trust me as a Disney fan, I get it when you really want to obtain or collect specific merchandise. But I don’t see it ending unless something is done about it or parks/stores start to reopen again. Or I think Disney fans need to band together and protest Disney somehow, that’s the only way I… Read more »

Gina Delgadillo
Gina Delgadillo
Reply to  Stacy

I can’t say enough how much this upsets me too! I completely agree that there must be something all of us Disney fans can come together to do.

Stephen
Stephen
14 days ago

Looking at an ebay reseller that has sold 88 Minnie Mouse Tiki Plushes and has 10+ left…at 4x the store price. ALL they have to do is limit sales to physical addresses, no PO boxes. If a second, third, or 89th order for an item that’s already been shipped to a physical address comes in, the order is denied. Or just implement any number of anti-bot measures available to retailers.

Ron
Ron
Reply to  Stephen

All Disney needs to do is put a bot checker in, but like old Bob proved all he wants is $$$$$, and right now the cash cow is dry with the parks closed, as over 50% of Disney’s revenue comes from the Parks

Than
Than
Reply to  Stephen

The only people more problematic than those who re-sell are those who BUY the re-sells!

Urban B
Urban B
13 days ago
Reply to  Stephen

Simple solutions. It makes you wonder who they favor, their fans, or eBay resellers? Why anger loyal customers like that?

Nikki A
Nikki A
14 days ago

This is no different than the lack of maintenance for the Disneyland ticketing site and the Disneyland app. They do little to no maintenance, and sometimes guests are double charged or the purchases go through hours later, after they have sometimes bought another set of tickets or purchased Maxpass again. They rarely offer refunds for those instances.

Max
Max
14 days ago

I love how you complain when it has been proven before WDWNT buys bulk and resells. Another article that offers no proof of a security breach Just bots. You’re only mad you cant resell. Tom and his staff are pathetic

Tom Corless
Admin
13 days ago
Reply to  Max

We don’t need to resell merchandise for minimal profits, the site does quite well sir.

Samantha
Samantha
14 days ago

Same thing happened on the UK site. I’m sick of these eBay sellers I just wish people would stop buying from them and then they wouldn’t do it. I’d rather not have something than give scum like that my money.

Donna
Donna
12 days ago
Reply to  Samantha

I was left out of Small World collection; I spent more $$$ on eBay, that I could have bought everything I wanted for 3+ more months from Disney. Before you get on me, I had never heard of Bots (my son had to explain), not had I EVER bought on eBay in my life. I am just trying to be a loyal Disney fan who wants the dolls, mug & pins to look at & enjoy! They make me happy, just decorating my specific area in my house with them, & rearranging as I desire, or new months dolls are… Read more »

Hannah
Hannah
14 days ago

We had a really strange thing happen to us when we ordered our Disney face masks. When we clicked “order” (or whatever the exact phrase is) at the bottom of the order form the website changed our addresses!! The shipping address changed from Hillside New Jersey to Columbus Ohio, and our billing address added Ohio as the state we live in…in Israel. That’s right, all of the sudden it said Ohio, Israel. So we immediately called after freaking out. The woman who answered was very very sweet and corrected it immediately, however for some reason the system doesn’t allow her… Read more »

Hannah
Hannah
13 days ago
Reply to  Hannah

135 down votes? LOL…you guys need to go outside and get some fresh air.

Jess
Jess
14 days ago

It happened in the UK with its release too and we have even less numbers to via for There was no virtual queue just a broken website which didn’t load the stock until it was gone. I know several people who had bags and ears taken from their carts.

Seattleite
Seattleite
14 days ago

Please STOP buying limited edition items on eBay. If no one bought from flippers, they wouldn’t be doing this. ShopDisney has had months to fix the problem. All they have to do is require a captcha to ADD any limited edition items to a cart (one that’s more complex than checking a box). Then create an automated system to cancel shipping multiple LE items to the same address. I hope Disney stores will be open and have June’s LE items.

Mike G
Mike G
14 days ago

It was an utter disaster. I was unaware of the previous issues with the shop Disney website. As a tikiphile, I wanted to get the Minnie Mouse plush and the cup to add to our collection. I saw a pending charge on my bank account but after reading other people’s responses it looks like this is a common issue with these. Sadly the Disney corporation doesn’t care about the real people that shell out money for products, visit the parks and go see their movies. It’s a shame that people who wanted to get this for themselves couldn’t.

Valerie Hunt
Valerie Hunt
13 days ago
Reply to  Mike G

This was my first time doing one of these and it was because I love the Tiki Room ever since my first visit in 1969 I really wanted was the backpack it was in my cart until I hit checkout when I got the sold out message at which time I cancelled my whole order and refuse to spend $300 for it on Ebay.

Tammy
Tammy
14 days ago

the best thing you can do is round up all of your disney paraphernalia, sell it at high-profit prices on eBay or some Disney swap site, and then walk away. disney is the drug dealer, and the merch is the fix. you’re just a commodity to them and they couldn’t care less if you’re a super fan or not. your only benefit to them is as a walking dollar sign. your addiction to these limited edition items just fuels your dependence on them. break away!

Auntiegravity
Auntiegravity
14 days ago

“Unfortunately, the Walt Disney Company of today continues to show that they are not the same as the Disney I grew up with in the ’80s and ’90s, and that makes me sad.“

They aren’t. I wish more Disney fans would wake up to this.

Kay Wilson
Kay Wilson
14 days ago

I was charged twice and when I called after 2 hour hold’s was told they could not see it. Amex had charges. Called for two days and I was told same thing even though I had a confirmation number and time I checked out but NOT the confirmation email. They were very sorry! This was the second month I had this issue! Once more and I give up! I’m not buying off of eBay again at a 3x inflate price!

Linda Gorslene
14 days ago

Same happened to me was on line for 2 1/2 hours trying to check out..never could so unfortunately I did not get my minnie set for my collection..shame on you Disney..