(C) Matthew Cooper Photography - www.thetimethespace.com

Cast Members Reportedly Being Reprimanded or Terminated for Viral Photo of Overcrowding at Seven Dwarfs Mine Train in Magic Kingdom

Last updated:

UPDATE: Walt Disney World has issued the following statement via text message to WDWNT:

“There is no truth to this rumor.”

Jacquee Wahler, Vice President, Communications – Walt Disney World Resort

With Walt Disney World reopening this week in the midst of a secondary surge of COVID-19 cases across Florida, all eyes have been on the outlets covering the parks—from fans planning out their next trips, to the general public, curious about the masses flocking to a theme park in the midst of a pandemic. As you’ve seen throughout our extensive coverage, we’ve shown you just about every aspect about going to Disney in these unprecedented times.

There’s Cast Members spraying down attraction vehicles, characters roaming on boats or greeting from rooftops, and oh—everyone’s wearing face masks. In the case of Cast Members, they’re required to wear face shields on top of that whenever physical distancing isn’t possible. With thousands of Cast Members still furloughed or returning to work under difficult conditions, all were allowed to reserve a date for Cast Member previews earlier this week. A handful of them were caught overcrowding the entrance to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train in a now-viral reposted photo:

We’ve been informed by several Cast that the employees in this photo have since been identified and reportedly either reprimanded or terminated by management. Cast Members are expected to “lead by example”, and many guests expressed having qualms about the reopenings after seeing this scene at the reopening previews. We were in the park the very day that viral photo was taken, and saw no such crowding anywhere in the park throughout the duration of the preview. The way the entrance is set up for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, there is a hand sanitizer dispenser at the entrance, and many have to briefly stop for it to dispense. The attraction had been closed due to weather conditions earlier, and had just reopened in this very moment. However, no such context was given when this photo was reposted, which unfortunately furthered the guest uproar. There was also no follow-up in terms of how quickly this crowd was dispersed after the photo was taken.

Despite our misgivings about indoor mask-free “Relaxation Stations”, our observations on the reopening so far have been fairly positive, with mask enforcement throughout and pretty much all guests and Cast Members observing physical distancing rules. Every attraction (with the exception of Splash Mountain) was practically a walk-on, with large, expansive walkways virtually empty given the limited capacity for previews.

Whether theme parks should reopen is a very divisive topic right now, especially given the rising rate of COVID-19 cases across Florida, which has resulted in an extension of the current State of Emergency. Tomorrow, the Magic Kingdom will reopen to the general public (at least, the ones with Disney Park Pass reservations) for the first time in months. Cast Members will be there, face shields and all, to welcome them back.

Featured Image: (C) Matthew Cooper Photography – www.thetimethespace.com

3 20 votes
Notify of
guest

RebeccaMcK
RebeccaMcK
1 month ago

I hope the sanitizer stations have been restocked often and will continue to be….. Too many times at grocery stores, the dispensers are empty.

Kai Kami
Kai Kami
Reply to  RebeccaMcK

Different company but When I went to Universal over the 4th of July weekend they were always full and had employees checking regularly so hopefully Disney can follow suit

RebeccaMcK
RebeccaMcK
Reply to  Kai Kami

That’s good. I bring my own sanitizer to the parks and keep it in my car when I’m out shopping so I can sanitize once I get out of the store, but it’s good to have it ready for people when they enter/exit an attraction in a theme park.

Mart espinoza
Mart espinoza
Reply to  RebeccaMcK

Don’t care! @disneyworld shut up and take my money!

Ryan Mulrooney
Ryan Mulrooney
Reply to  RebeccaMcK

bring your own… why should the world supply you and your needs?

RebeccaMcK
RebeccaMcK
Reply to  Ryan Mulrooney

I always bring my own. Thinking of everyone though.

Art
Art
Reply to  Ryan Mulrooney

Because you’re paying $150 to get in, and $20 for a hotdog.

Last edited 1 month ago by Art
Dingus
Dingus
Reply to  Ryan Mulrooney

Guess we can get rid of TP in the bathroom as well. Bring your own TP, leeches!

Aj S
Aj S
Reply to  Dingus

Hahahha

JLP
JLP
Reply to  Dingus

Bc carrying a little bottle of santizer is far easier than having to carry toilet paper? And it’s far cheaper for you to supply your own instead of Dland installing sanitizer stations everywhere for a temporary issue?

Honestly if people are that worried about the pandemic why are you doing to theme parks lol.

Marvin
Marvin
Reply to  JLP

What part of this makes you think it’s temporary?

Stephen
Stephen
1 month ago

I really love Disney, as does my entire family. However with the local hospitals being over capacity in serious ways, during a major pandemic, it seems foolish at the very least for reopening to have taken place at this time.

Peggy
Peggy
Reply to  Stephen

Angie
Angie
Reply to  Stephen

I agree

Who cares
Who cares
1 month ago

Omg soooo what???!???? They are adults. They can make their own decisions

Art
Art
Reply to  Who cares

If that’s the case then why even bother having a government? Speed limits….pointless. We’re all adults.

Shonda veatch
Shonda veatch
Reply to  Who cares

Obviously they can make discussions just not good ones. While these people are at Disney which I love greatly, my husband and I are working in the ICU to try and save lives of people making their own decisions

Darrell Moore
Darrell Moore
Reply to  Shonda veatch

So what you’re saying is, you wouldn’t have a job without people making decisions.

Ken Rohloff
Ken Rohloff
Reply to  Who cares

I totally agree

Anthony Craft
Anthony Craft
Reply to  Who cares

Everybody has to stop complaining and relax these places can’t stay closed forever if you don’t want to go then stay home stop being so negative life must go on I can’t wait to go to Disney and have a great time.

Vivi
Vivi
Reply to  Anthony Craft

Oh yeah, let’s relax while a poorly managed pandemic destroys our entire country. I mean gotta have Disney even if it means stacking up the overflow of dead bodies in the streets!

Glenn weiner
Glenn weiner
Reply to  Anthony Craft

Enjoy the chance to die than, and don’t forget to brink the kids. Idiot

Margo
Margo
Reply to  Who cares

But the children they bring are not adults..

Vivi
Vivi
Reply to  Who cares

Obviously, they can’t make good ones. And individual bad choices affect us all right now. Get a clue.

Mark Twain
Mark Twain
1 month ago

A photo/snapshot instance should not be judged as being the overall summary of all areas! This is another fake news photo and the people posting this should be sued for intentionally trying to disgrace the Disney brand.

John
John
Reply to  Mark Twain

Not fake news when it is true (PS: Mark Twain was a fake name)

D M Laing
D M Laing
Reply to  Mark Twain

SMH!!! Disney identified the employees so how is the photo fake?!?!
As an employee they are required to social distance, and they didn’t so there are consequences.

Paul Alter
Paul Alter
Reply to  Mark Twain

What aspect of the article even implied this was generalized to the rest of the park or the actions of cast members? The only one I read was, “many guests expressed having qualms about the reopenings after seeing this scene at the reopening previews”. Which is a legitimate concern if the cast members caught in this photo demonstrate that they aren’t taking Disney’s requirements seriously.

Anonomouse
Anonomouse
1 month ago

So the Disney Food Blog has progressed from taking pictures of food and throwing it away to taking pictures of cast members and throwing their lives away. Stay classy DFB.

Ken Rohloff
Ken Rohloff
1 month ago

Who cares? Get over it. If you’re worried about getting the virus, put on head-to-toe coverings so you’re safe. Don’t rely on others to do anything to protect your own health. If you’re truly paranoid about getting it, stay home. Let those who want to live live free.

Paul Alter
Paul Alter
Reply to  Ken Rohloff

Sure looks like you’re really unclear on the concepts of a pandemic.

Art
Art
Reply to  Ken Rohloff

Selfish.

Vivi
Vivi
Reply to  Ken Rohloff

You “living free” prevents smart people from living free. Your actions impact MY LIFE and my freedom and my choices. Stop being selfish. You think freedom is all about doing whatever you want whenever you want. You sound like a spoiled child.

Chris
Chris
1 month ago

This article shouldn’t be highlighting the ridiculousness our governments are pushing upon us in the name of “safety”, it should instead be gaining insight on the ride as the”viral photo” just makes me very curious as to how good this ride must be if such a crowd of employees gathered to get on it.

Jess
Jess
1 month ago

How do people feel about Disney making their cast members wear masks and face shields? I’m in the medical profession and I know for a fact that these “precautions” are going overboard to the extreme. I have also been an annual passholder for 20 years. I am not renewing it. I’m not going to force my family to cover their face during the entire visit. In the hot humid Florida sun. If masks were so effective and “saves lives” then why would their be a mask free zone? Why would restaurants be open? There is nothing special about the mask… Read more »

Jay
Jay
Reply to  Jess

Just wondering…. what sort of medical profession are you in? Not being disrespectful or anything just curious since you mentioned.

D M Laing
D M Laing
Reply to  Jess

Hope you don’t live anywhere near me because your medical opinion is ridiculous and completely different from those in the medical field actually saving lives!!!

Shonda veatch
Shonda veatch
Reply to  Jess

I am also in healthcare however what I’m seeing in the ICU as an RRT is much different than what you must be experiencing. I’m curious as to what your healthcare role is?

normal person
normal person
Reply to  Jess

ok Karen

Ken Rohloff
Ken Rohloff
Reply to  Jess

Jess, I agree. Let’s get back to living like normal. For those afraid of the virus, they should take every precaution THEY need to take or stay home! Disney in a hot day with face masks for adults OR kids sounds awful

Vivi
Vivi
Reply to  Ken Rohloff

So selfish. Boo hoo a hot mask on my face all day!!! See how you feel about that mask when you’re deliriously trying to rip out your breathing tube as a virus ravages your body. Yeah, it might not happen to you, but it’s happening to your countrymen’s family and friends.

Margo
Margo
Reply to  Jess

I truly appreciate your views. I took my granddaughter to disney 3 years ago. The morning we we leaving I got a call that my sister was found dead. We went ahead with Julia’s birthday trip but it was hard staying upbeat and positive knowing that my sisters funeral was awaiting my return. I planned a return visit as a birthday surprise for this year. (JUNE BIRTHDAY) She was turning ten this year. My husband died very unexpectedly in january..difficult of course, but we could still plan the trip. Plenty of time for me to get my tears under control.… Read more »

Shelby
Reply to  Jess

Your ignorance of how a virus is transmitted is disturbing. If people who think like you work in health care we’re all doomed.

Lisa
Lisa
Reply to  Jess

As a Nurse and after reading this, I have trouble imaging you in the health care profession. This sounds kind of mean, but you know the “Magic Kingdom” isn’t really magic, right? 🤔

Jess
Jess
1 month ago

A journal from the NATIONAL ACADEMIES of PRESS under the title “PREVENTING TRANSMISSION OF PANDEMIC INFLUENZA AND OTHER VIRAL RESPIRATORY DISEASES shows the inefficacy of wearing face coverings.

blkmermaid813
blkmermaid813
Reply to  Jess

Medical profession? Immune disorder? I get a mask is can feel claustrophobic. I am a medical Frontline worker with an auto immune disorder. However I wear a N95sm fit tested plus a surgery mask 12hrs a day in Florida while at work. Outside of work I still where a filtering mask. How as you stated above can you as someone as a medical professional totally disregard ALL of US. I to enjoy WDW to the fullest it brings back memories. my daughter’s make a wish trip at 4yrs old was there before she passed a year later. I would hope… Read more »

Art
Art
Reply to  Jess

You can find anything to support any argument out there. We don’t have all the answers yet. It’s still a new virus. So for now I think it’s fair that everyone believe what they want. Just stop being stupid about it. Be respectful. Care about others.

KiethKayman
1 month ago

Really Disney a reprimand is one thing, termination is ridiculous. Me thinks Disney is taking advantage to thin the employment herd. How did u pick highest paid first to go, I hope at least it was by performance.

John schultz
John schultz
Reply to  KiethKayman

I agree Disney is redicaulis fireing people for any stupid reason.Many of good honest and hard working people has been fired and left with no job.

Lisa Pappas
1 month ago

I really wonder how Disney is going to control the crowds in lines. Even before covid people acted stupid in lines whether they were trying to beat the system with cutting etc. So this will be interesting. I just hope they are able to control the social distancing bc some people can be challenging.

Tom
Tom
1 month ago

Disney is being RECKLESS, pure and simple. They are all too ready to risk people’s LIVES for the almighty dollar.

John1993
John1993
Reply to  Tom

Have you ever heard of the concept of personal responsibility? They risk their own lives. No one is forcing them to go. Do you need big corporations or government to hold your hand for everything? Literally toddlers with the right to vote.

Anthony Craft
Anthony Craft
Reply to  Tom

No they aren’t being reckless its time to start enjoying life again if you don’t like it keep ur comments to yourself there are alot of happy people ready to go have fun at Disney I have to wear a mask so be it but my family and I are going to have the best time of our lives

Meg
Meg
1 month ago

Clearly this is an updated photo, giving the fact, some people are actually wearing masks! Something, no nobody did before Covid 19! Just wish Disney would Stop trying advertise their own financial wallets before the health of those who fill their wallets! Why don’t they come up with a virtual, online park? It would probably work better financially, considering many can’t get to their parks because of lock downs, lost jobs, etc. but if they do, make it, an affordable virtual, online park, where a lot of people, especially children who are hospitalized for other reasons other then Covid 19,… Read more »

Nymarya
Nymarya
Reply to  Meg

Are you for real? There is no VR that touches on the park experience. Are they going to air-deliver my meals from my favorite restaurant and the scent of Main Street? Can I actually ride an attraction???? No. What a sad world you are promoting. I would rather risk death than live in a world like that. How about people who are scared to go to Disney don’t go and leave it alone for sane people to enjoy???

Rei
Rei
1 month ago

I don’t understand why the cast member had to be “terminated”, I understand that disney company likes to have a good look or what not but that is a little too extreme to terminate unless, I have missed something on the whole story.

HelpMeImPoor
HelpMeImPoor
Reply to  Rei

LOL Disney literally values their public image ahead of every other thing in the world.THIS is certainly not new information for anyone.

Tommi Christine Barrett-Greenly
Tommi Christine Barrett-Greenly
1 month ago

I was at MK for the passholder preview July 10. I didn’t see any crowding like in the picture here. I rode Mine Train, too. My family and I rode a bunch of other rides. Everyone I saw kept their distance and their masks on.

Mike G
Mike G
1 month ago

Reprimanded because they posted a picture of a bunch of idiots? Sounds like the Disney corporation really has their priorities straight

Tom Corless
Admin
Reply to  Mike G

No, the ones crowding, not the photographer.

Bryan Barberot
Bryan Barberot
1 month ago

How has Disney been allowed to reopen in the middle of the spike. Asinine

Betz
Betz
Reply to  Bryan Barberot

Our Governor is just as stupid as our President…. Soooo

Joe
Joe

All those geeks

D M Laing
D M Laing
1 month ago

Why does it matter how quickly it dispersed?!?!?! Social distancing is social distancing and if a public employee doesn’t follow the rules themselves why would anyone expect them to enforce the rules. Obviously this crowd of people doesn’t routinely practice social distancing or they wouldn’t have been standing nearly touching one another!
Kudos to WDW for doing the right thing!!!!

Chelsea
1 month ago

Not surprised it was AJ being boujee again. Way to Go Disney Food Blog. You succeeded