Every week is a busy week when it comes to Disney news. To help you keep up with all of the updates coming out of Walt Disney World and other Disney resorts, here’s WDWNT’s weekly recap of this week’s Disney news!
Walt Disney World
- The big Skyliner news is that the actual passenger gondolas have been spotted sailing across Walt Disney World, and it’s all very exciting.
- Following their Super Bowl success on February 3rd, the New England Patriots’ Julian Edelman and Tom Brady took the celebration from Atlanta to Orlando, and were featured in a very special celebratory parade.
- In a shocking and unpredictable move, Disney has removed the ability to modify existing dining reservations on the My Disney Experience mobile app.
- In legal news, a woman has been awarded $24,000 after a Cast Member ran over her foot with a food cart.
- A lengthy refurbishment has been announced for the Casey Jr. Splash ‘N’ Soak Station, and it’s about time.
- Early Morning Magic is still proving popular with park guests, with lots more dates added for the Magic Kingdom through August.
- Interested to see how the Tron construction is coming along? Check out this Magic Kingdom photo report!
- Sleepy Hollow is selling corn dogs again. But not just any corn dogs. Footlong corn dogs!
- Guests can fly ‘Off to Neverland!’ with a new Peter Pan PhotoPass Magic Shot, new to Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Park.
- The full line-up has been released for the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival’s Garden Rocks Concert Series, including new acts such as Glass Tiger, Sister Sledge and The Smithereens.
- Starting March 6, the Mexico pavilion will host a new show, with musicians and dancers telling the story of Disney•Pixar’s “Coco”.
- There’s lots of construction going on across Epcot, but the space restaurant is slowly coming together and the Japan restaurant has finally gone vertical.
- There’s a new menu at La Hacienda de San Angel in the Mexico pavilion.
- There are some new chicken dumplings at Mr. Kamal’s quick service stand. Read our review here!
- The Caring for Giants Tour is a wonderful and in-depth behind-the-scenes look at the care and conservation that goes in to looking after Animal Kingdom’s elephants. Check out the review here!
- Check out this week’s Animal Kingdom photo report, featuring construction updates for the otter exhibit.
- Following the closure of the Planet Hollywood Super Store, the signage has been removed and Legends of Hollywood signs have gone up in the midst of the store expansion.
- A new Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster FastPass+ entrance has been installed to make room for Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy, which is moving in next door.
- Beauty and the Beast – Live on Stage will be closing its doors from February 24 through March 9 for a refurbishment.
- Four new tasty treats are now available at the Trolley Car Cafe. A Chocolate Pecan Tart, Apple Almond Tart, Raspberry Napoleon, and Latte Cake. Yum!
- With reusable shopping bags now available throughout the parks, Disney Springs has released its own exclusive set.
- B.B. Wolf’s Sausage Co. has had an entire menu revamp, with new dogs including a Hawaiian Island dog, Texas Chili-Cheese dog, and New York Pastrami Reuben dog.
- The Art Corner Pop-Up Shop has now opened, bringing custom artwork and a variety of art supplies for purchase in a friendly, creative space by the Artistic Talent Group.
Disney’s Riviera Resort
- We got a closer look at the latest construction updates on the resort, due to open this December.
- A new lounge has been announced as part of the resort, to be named Voyageur’s Lounge, which will celebrate the travels of Walt Disney.
Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort
- We saw that Gran Destino Tower, along with the Villa Del Lago lakeside lounge and restaurant construction was coming along nicely, with thematic elements and decorations installed.
Disney’s Yacht and Beach Club Resort
- Smart speakers similar to Google Home and Amazon Alexa systems are being tested in select rooms across the resorts, allowing guests the opportunity to access information from My Disney Experience delivered via a virtual personal assistant.
Disney’s All-Star Resorts
- A beautiful and very indulgent new shake has arrived at the World Premiere Food Court in Disney’s All-Star Movies Resort: The Chocolate Covered Strawberry Milkshake.
- Meanwhile, over at the Intermission Food Court at Disney’s All-Star Music Resort, a Princess Aurora cupcake has appeared in time for the 60th anniversary of “Sleeping Beauty.”
The Cove at Swan and Dolphin Resort
- Construction has begun near Disney’s Fantasia Gardens Miniature Golf Course to prep for The Cove hotel, a new hotel adjacent to the Swan and Dolphin complex.
- The Steamboat Willie popcorn bucket brought big crowds, and characters looked dashing in their Get Your Ears On Celebration attire this past week.
Disney California Adventure
- Inspired by the upcoming live action re-make, a vibrant celebration of The Lion King is coming to DCA.
- A return date has finally been set for the fan-favorite nighttime spectacular World of Color at DCA, with reservations available starting February 22.
- It was quite a week for Trader Sam’s. Two new drinks and four new souvenir mugs were unleashed all at once.
- Tangaroa Terrace has finally reopened as Tangaroa Terrace Tropical Bar & Grill, and we’re very pleased with the refresh and the new breakfast and lunch/dinner menus.
Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
- White Water Snacks has returned with a refreshed interior and new menu.
- Magical Pride will be returning to the resort in June as an official Disneyland Paris event for the very first time.
- Could it be? Could we finally have an answer to when Phantom Manor will reopen? Well worry no more, as we’ve received news that it might be finally reopening its haunted doors this May.
- The Disney Loves Jazz event will be returning to the Walt Disney Studios Park in June, with packages now available for booking.
- Read our review of Captain Jack’s Restaurant in Disneyland Paris, a prix fixe dining experience themed around (and located inside the ride of) Pirates of the Caribbean.
- A 10-year ‘Fan-niversary’ reception for Gold and Gold Family members will take place on March 10, with archive displays, exhibits, and Park luminaries in attendance.
- There is just one moon and one golden sun and loads of Small World merchandise for everyone! We’ve spotted a Tsum Tsum set, a phone case and adult apparel, and the rest of the collection is now available online.
- Lots of new Blizzard Beach merch is now available in the water park, including spirit jerseys!
- Also now available online is the Trader Sam’s drink-themed dress and Shrunken Head Purse, which can also be found at Disney California Adventure.
- In Spirit Jersey news, Spirit Hoodies are now a thing!
- Disney Vacation Club have their own Spirit Jersey too.
- Guests can now sport their foodstuff favorites on necklaces and bracelets as part of a new snack jewelry collection, spotted in World of Disney in Disney Springs. If you’re looking for something similar that lights up, look no further than the Magic Kingdom.
- Alex and Ani have brought out new Annual Passholder and Captain Marvel bracelets, available at Disney Springs.
- For fans of The Little Mermaid, some mer-mazing new women’s apparel has been spotted at Sunset Club Couture in Hollywood Studios.
- Over in the Italy pavilion in Epcot, it looks like Geppetto has been doing some knitting with new limited release Pinocchio plushes.
- Meanwhile, in the UK pavilion, there’s even more adorable Winnie the Pooh merch.
- New Disney Parks Collection Villains jewelry has arrived at WDW, and it’s very lavish and spooky. If you’re after something a bit more fun and colorful, check out the new Toy Story jewelry range over in Hollywood Studios.
- Disney has filed a new patent application which reveals plans for some very cool-looking robotic stunt performers.
- As the release of the live-action ‘Dumbo’ draws nearer, guests to Walt Disney World, Disneyland, and Disney Cruise Line will be able to catch a special sneak peek of the movie. If you won’t be visiting any of these locations, you can still watch the new international trailer here.
- Kingdom Hearts III is now available! Have a listen to this full, in-depth review discussion into our thoughts on the highly-anticipated game.
- Possible images and concept art for ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’ has been leaked, including a peek at new aliens, costumes, and more.
- Pixar has released a brand-new short as promotion for the upcoming Disney+ streaming service. Titled ‘Purl’, the story follows a pink ball of yarn as she navigates her way through a high-energy, male-lead new workplace.
- Ron W. Miller, the producer of many Disney movies and former President and CEO of The Walt Disney Company, has passed away at the age of 85.
That’s all of the Disney news for this past week! Be sure to check back at the end of each week for our weekly recaps!
I don’t know about you, but there are times when planning a Disney vacation can be overwhelming! There are so many options, where to stay, when to go, is this the best price. So, I want to introduce you all to Cindy Minor and the team at Small World Big Fun. They will help you plan your Disney vacation for FREE. Contact them today!