Every week is a busy week when it comes to Disney news. To help you keep up with all of the updates coming out of Walt Disney World and other Disney resorts, here’s WDWNT’s weekly recap of this week’s Disney news from March 4 -10!
Walt Disney World
- The narrow pathway behind Cinderella Castle in the Magic Kingdom is due to be widened to help traffic flow
- See this week’s photo report for the Magic Kingdom, featuring construction updates, new merchandise and the Ron Miller Main Street window
- In snacking news, we tried the spicy new Black Bean Chips with Mango Sriracha Hummus over at Tortuga Tavern
- Also, the Adventureland food cart is now serving these seriously good House Made Philly Cheesesteak Spring Rolls, and they quickly became our new spring roll front runner!
- Hurry! We discovered that Aunt Polly’s Restaurant will open for a limited time on Tom Sawyer Island this month
- Read this insightful instalment of our Romantic Disney series, which this week takes us into the history of the Skipper Canteen Restaurant in Magic Kingdom
- The lively Bollywood Beats dance experience launched this week at Animal Kingdom, check out the photos and videos we took
- The official Pandora- The World of Avatar soundtrack is now available on the Play Disney Parks app
- Check out this week’s photo report for Animal Kingdom, including beautiful scenery, a peek at the upcoming Otter Grotto (presented by Otterbox) and new merchandise
- Permits have been filed, showing plans to demolish Innoventions and close the character spot, Starbucks and Club cool a Epcot
- Also, the former Wonders of Life center has now officially closed for the construction to begin for the new Play Pavilion
- The stunning and hugely entertaining new Mariachi show, themed to the movie ‘Coco’, has arrived in the Mexico pavilion this week, check out our photos and video here
- We reviewed the Earl Grey Honey Cupcake at Sunshine Seasons, which we would recommend for anyone searching for an adorable and delicious seasonal treat
- We also sampled and reviewed the latest offering in the UK pavilion – Chicken and Mushroom Pie from Yorkshire County Fish Shop
Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival 2019
The festival is now in full bloom!
- WDWNT is pleased to present a free PDF guide to the 2019 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival, your ultimate print-friendly companion the what’s-on, sights and tastes of the festival!
- We headed to the festival to review the food offerings, snack and drinks at a whole host of booths! This week, we tried The Citrus Blossom (which is where those adorable Orange Bird sipper cups can be found!), Refreshment Port, Pineapple Promenade, Hanami, Taste of Marrakesh, Fleur de Lys, Florida Fresh, Funnel Cake, Primavera Kitchen, The Smokehouse: Barbecue and Brews, Arbor at the Gardeners Terrace, Trowel & Trellis, The Honey Bee-stro, Lotus House, La Isla Fresca, Bauernmarkt: Farmer’s Market, Jardin de Fiestas, Flavor Full Kitchen, Taste Track and Northern Bloom Outdoor Kitchen
- See our photos of all the merchandise offerings available at the festival, including prices!
- One of the items on sale is the beautiful spring-y and colorful Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival Dooney & Bourke range, which is now available on shopDisney
- Opening dates have been announced for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, with the Walt Disney World land opening on August 29th, 2019. For more Galaxy’s Edge news, see under Disneyland Resort section below!
- These rendered 3D images give us more insight into the Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy theatre, in advance of the show opening at the end of this month
- Take a look at this week’s photo report for Hollywood Studios, including refurbishments and the progress on the new bus loop
Walt Disney Skyliner
- Since there was a windy day in Orlando, we headed to check out the Skyliner testing, and took this video showing how they hold up in the high winds, along with photos of the general construction progress
- Starting next weekend, both Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach will be serviced by dedicated buses from each Disney resort hotel
- The rumors are true: a Mac & Cheese truck will be parking up at Disney Springs’ West Side this month
- Check out our Disney Springs photo report for this week, including merchandise, St Patrick’s Day treats and a look at Jaleo now the construction walls have started to be taken down
Walt Disney World Resorts
- A new refillable mug design has debuted around the Walt Disney World resorts, featuring a range of “Mickey Through the Years” icons
All Star Music Resort
- The latest Princess cupcake available at the Intermission Food Court in All Star Music Resort is a dreamy raspberry creation inspired by Rapunzel
- We also tried out this new Captain Marvel Hero’s Passion Raspberry Tart, which was so heroic it was even filled with boba!
Yacht and Beach Club Resorts
- A swashbuckling new Kid’s Club experience is making port at the Beach Club resort next month, and will be called Captain Hook’s Pirate Crew
- Guests at the Yacht and Beach Club resorts are now able to reserve private poolside cabanas for a bit of extra luxury and relaxation
- See this week’s photo report for the Disneyland Resort, including parking structure construction updates, paper straws, park refurbs and more!
- Read about some delicious new dining events coming to the Disneyland Resort, including a special dining package for Mickey’s Soundsational Parade at the Plaza Inn restaurant
- This month, guests visiting the Disneyland park will be able to get a sneak peek at the upcoming movie “Dumbo”
- You all HAVE to get out and try the Cinnamon Churro Toffee at the Disneyland Resort – WDWNT staff members are insisting it changed their lives!
- Read this fun post about the second annual Adventureland Day at the Disneyland Park
- The Get Your Ears On! celebration is still underway at the Disneyland park, meaning there’s loads of fun and exclusive snacks to try! This week we sampled the Butterscotch Beignets
- We also tried the colorful Mardi Gras Coconut Cake from French Market in New Orleans Square, and the new Chocolate Mickey and Strawberry Minnie donuts from the Coffee Cart Near Central Plaza
Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
Even more exciting Galaxy’s Edge news has reached us this week!
- Opening dates have been announced for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, with the Disneyland land opening on May 31st, 2019
- If you can’t wait that long, check out these new aerial images from NearMap, showing the area from above, including a good look at some of the ships we will soon be able to discover
- A lot more opening information for Galaxy’s Edge was released this week, including the news that the Rise of the Resistance ride won’t open with the land, entry to the Disneyland Galaxy’s Edge area will require advance reservation, and the Walt Disney World GE will be open during the Hollywood Studios Extra Magic Hours
- As well as this, we got the news on the height requirements for the Galaxy’s Edge rides, and learned that no Fastpasses will be available for Smuggler’s Run at either Disney resorts for an undisclosed period from when the land opens
- Watch this new aerial drone footage, featuring the landscapes of Galaxy’s Edge
- New concept art has been released for certain merchandise and dining locations in Galaxy’s Edge, as well as the interface for the area on the Play Disney Parks app
Disney California Adventure
- Read our COMPLETE GUIDE to the 2019 Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival – look no further for photos, menus, reviews and tips to see you through the most delicious festival there is!
- There’s so much amazing foodstuff to try at the Food & Wine Festival! This week we sampled the Double Mustard-Glazed Chicken Wings, the Slow-Roasted Bratwurst on a Pretzel Bun, and the House-Made Beer Marshmallows
- Check out our photos and video from the new Captain Marvel Meet and Greet, which debuted this week
- Have a look at this photo update of the Disneyland Hotel pool refurbishment
Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel and Spa
- Full menus and food photos have been announced for the upcoming character dining experience at Napa Rose in Disney’s Grand Californian: Disney Princess Breakfast Adventures
Disney Cruise Line
- Disney Cruise Line have brought out their own design of reusable shopping bags, available now onboard. Castaway Cay also have their own sunny design to check out!
- Exciting new details and updates have been announced for the epic Marvel Summer of Super Heroes celebration at the Walt Disney Studios park
- Three amazing headliners have been announced for Magical Pride: Year & Years, Corine and Boy George
Tokyo Disney Resort
- Read the second instalment from one of the WDWNT writers’ recent trip report to Tokyo Disney Resort, featuring an in-depth look at the Celebration Hotel – Wish, including tips, insights and a photo tour!
- A host of adorable Dumbo merchandise has flown into the Magic Kingdom, including mugs, apparel and a Pop! Vinyl
- The 2019 March Pin collections for Walt Disney World and Disneyland have been released, featuring Food and Wine and Figment designs
- An awesome new Captain Marvel Lougefly backpack has landed in the parks
- More items from the “Most Magical Place on Earth” range have arrived at Walt Disney World, featuring mugs and homeware. To make it even more exciting, tons of this new merchandise range is now available on shopDisney!
- Alex and Ani have released two new bangles: one featuring “The Happiest Place on Earth” at Disneyland and the other “The Most Magical Place on Earth” at Walt Disney World
- Patches appear to be very much ‘in’ at the moment, with new “PatcheD” designs available in the parks featuring Aladdin, The Lion King and Disney Villains
- New Zootopia Magic Bands are now available on shopDisney
- Check out this super funky Dole Whip Float beach towel – perfect for your waterpark ventures!
- In celebration of the new movie, Citizen Watch have released a brand-new ‘Captain Marvel’ collection, a stunning new range which is both stylish and subtle
- Also new in Captain Marvel merch, this new limited edition Captain Marvel magic band is now available
- In ears news, check out these new satin polka-dot Minnie Ears which we spotted in Epcot, and these Briar Rose Gold ears which will be dancing into the parks very soon
- There’s a flowery new spring Tinker Bell Douney & Bourke collection now available on shopDisney
- Celebrate an amazing achievement with this “Class of 2019” Graduation range, now available at the Disneyland Resort
- New Adventureland Apparel has been discovered in the parks, featuring Jungle Cruise and The Enchanted Tiki Room
- Pandora have released a new Disney Parks Luggage charm, which we spotted at Ever After Jewelry Co. in Disney Springs
- Rushin’ River Outfitters in Disney California Adventure is now stocking a new line of Grizzly River Run merchandise, including apparel, a mug and a pin
- With all the Galaxy’s Edge excitement of the month, it seemed very apt to find a load of new Star Wars apparel in the Disneyland Park
- Redd, the newest pirate in the Caribbean, has been recognised in her own merchandise: some attraction-themed socks and a sassy ornament
- Check out this video, featuring Ed Helms starring as the narrator of Disneynature’s ‘Penguins’
- A new mobile game called ‘Disney Sorcerer’s Arena’ has been announced, in partnership between Disney and Glu Mobile Inc.
- A haunting official poster has been released for upcoming movie ‘Maleficent: Mistress of Evil’, starring Angelina Jolie in her reprise as the eponymous villain
- A new behind-the-scenes featurette has been released for ‘Captain Marvel’
- A new sneak peek has emerged for the upcoming live-action ‘Dumbo’, featuring new footage and music by Arcade Fire, as well as a new trailer, which really hypes us up for the movie’s release at the end of the month
- Also in anticipation of ‘Dumbo’, Spirit Airlines and Disney have revealed a new Spirit Airbus A321 plane, featuring a huge and stunning Dumbo image
- Some wonderful news about the Disney+ streaming service has been announced: it will eventually be home to the entire library of Walt Disney Studios films
Other Disney News
- In anticipation of the upcoming Marvel blockbuster release, one of our writers visited the Captain Marvel pop-up experience at the Disney Store in Times Square, New York City
That’s all of the Disney news for this past week! Make sure you check back at the end of each week for our weekly recaps!