Every week is a busy week when it comes to Disney news. To help you keep up with all of the updates coming out of Walt Disney World and other Disney resorts, here’s WDWNT’s weekly recap of this week’s Disney news from February 25 – March 3!
- Register for this year’s WDWNT March Madness tournament, featuring Walt Disney World counter service restaurants battling it out to be named the best in show.
Walt Disney World
- Joffrey’s Coffee locations across Walt Disney World are now offering paper straws to guests.
- March 8th will see International Women’s Day, and there will be a host of special events, food and drink available throughout Walt Disney World resort in celebration.
- The new Taste of the Magic Kingdom VIP Tour began this week. Read our honest review here.
- Check out our photo update of the Tron Lightcycle Power Run coaster construction.
- We reviewed the yummy new frosted donut cookies over at Big Top Souvenirs, Mickey and Minnie Whoopie Pies at Colombia Harbor House, the Mickey Confetti Pretzel at Tortuga Tavern, Minnie Sundae and Main Street Split at The Plaza Ice Cream Parlor and the Mickey and Minnie Waffle Sundae at Sleepy Hollow.
- Also in snack news, check out this new Mickey and Minnie’s Surprise Celebration refillable popcorn bucket.
- The Casey’s Corner March Hot Dog of the Month this month is the Corned Beef Hash Hot Diggity Dog, which of course we had to try.
- Even more photos of the mouthwatering food offerings at the 2019 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival have been released, including this amazing Orange Bird Souvenir cup.
- Also in preparation for the Flower & Garden festival, new topiaries have been installed across the park, featuring botanical versions of our favorite characters.
- The Flower & Garden free annual passholder magnets were also revealed – don’t miss out!
- We’ve had details of new covered bag checks and more metal detectors coming to Epcot in further improvements to the park’s entrance.
- Amazing new giant Chinese cotton candy has arrived at the China Pavilion in the World Showcase.
- There’s also a photo construction update on the upcoming Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure ride.
- Meanwhile, some mysterious new construction walls have appeared at the International Gateway.
- Construction is also continuing in the World Showcase Lagoon in preparation for the upcoming Epcot nighttime show – check out the photos we took.
- Permit documents have revealed upcoming changes to the Animal Kingdom entrance area, including a new tram shade structure.
- A bright and energetic new dance experience is coming to Animal Kingdom: Bollywood Beats draws inspiration from Indian music and dance styles and looks sure to get guests joining in!
- Keystone Clothiers and Legends of Hollywood stores will be temporarily closing from March 1 as part of the Sunset Boulevard refurbishment schedule.
- We reviewed the new chocolate chip cookie shake over at Dockside Diner in Hollywood Studios.
- We were excited to see that the tails have returned on the Slinky Dog Dash coaster trains this week, and hope they’re here to stay.
- Signage has gone up at the new Hollywood Studios bus loops, and the photos we took suggest they will be opening fairly soon.
- A new meet and greet is coming to the Hollywood Studios park and Disney California Adventure this May, featuring Nancy Clancy from Disney Junior’s ‘Fancy Nancy’.
- Check out this photo report, featuring the construction progress on the Skyliner stations at Disney’s Pop Century and Art of Animation resorts.
- The Something Silver and Sublime stores are due to close at Disney Springs.
Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- The Grand Floridian is set to open a new Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique location, whilst the current boutique at the Magic Kingdom will benefit from an expansion as well.
Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
- The third-edition Uh-Oa! bowl has landed over at Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto.
Disney’s Riviera Resort
- The Disney Vacation Club inventory and point averages were announced for the upcoming Riviera Resort.
New Swan and Dolphin ‘The Cove’ Hotel
- Here we have photos and a video showing you the construction/demolition progress for the new Swan and Dolphin hotel ‘The Cove’.
- Construction on the new security structure at the Harbor Boulevard Entrance to the resort is now complete, and we have photos!
Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
It has been a hugely exciting week for updates on the highly anticipated Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at the Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World locations, so much so that it deserves its own category in this recap! Here’s a breakdown of what went on, and what we know so far…
- The cast costumes and nametags were revealed, with over 20 mix-and-match looks.
- Dining locations, along with their full food and drink menus, were announced.
- Every shop has been named, along with a sneak peek at their merchandise offerings.
- Speaking of merchandise, a Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge cookbook has been announced, to be released later in the year.
- New details have been revealed for the Millennium Falcon – Smuggler’s Run ride.
- It was announced that new features on the Play Disney Parks app will allow guests to interact with droids, take missions, hack and translate throughout the new land, making for a hugely immersive experience.
- New details and a partial synopsis were announced for the Rise of the Resistance ride.
- More of a backstory was revealed for the land of Batuu, sharing information on its inhabitants and sectors.
- We got a peek at an amazing new Hondo audio-animatronic from the Smuggler’s Run ride.
- It was also a controversy to discover the Disney are considering selling FastPasses for rides at Galaxy’s Edge, rather than go with the traditional system.
- This exciting leaked image shows an all-new TIE Echelon Starfighter ship.
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is fast approaching, but if you’re still struggling to wait, you can always check out this construction progress photo report.
- We reviewed some of the Get Your Ears On celebration-exclusive dishes: The Bacon, Cheddar and Green Onion Fritters, the Candy Brownie, the Fantasia Mickey Churro and this peculiar Sizzlin’ Hot Funnel Cake.
Disney California Adventure
- The Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival is now underway, and here is a look at the full marketplace menus and food photos for the event.
- And it wouldn’t be a festival without souvenirs! Check out the 2019 Food & Wine merchandise offerings here.
- Check out our reviews of all Festival booths: Citrus Grove, Berry Patch, LA Style, Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit, Off the Cob, I Heart Artichokes, Cluck-A-Doodle-Moo, Uncork California, Garlic Kissed, Avocado Time, California Craft Brews, Peppers Cali-ente, Golden Dreams and Nuts About Cheese.
- Also at the festival, we tried the Chocolate Peanut Butter Churro.
- Going to the festival? Read our report and see our photos of the Sip and Savor Pass, a handy way to enjoy the tasty offerings.
- Check out these photos of the new ‘Jessie’s Critter Carousel’ ride, opening in April at Pixar Pier.
Downtown Disney District
- A new Sugarboo & Co. Boutique is set to open in Downtown Disney, bringing a charming range of gifts and home décor items.
- There’s a new Signature Experience on offer at Disneyland Paris, allowing guests to celebrate this summer’s The Lion King and Jungle Festival to the wildest.
- Read our review of the new Disney Princess Breakfast at Auberge de Cendrillon.
- Take a look at the March 2019 Disneyland Paris pin releases, including ten pins specially themed just for Princess Day.
Hong Kong Disneyland
- We got a closer look at the ride vehicles and props on the upcoming ‘Ant Man and The Wasp: Nano Battle!’ ride, due to open next month.
- New Orange Bird apparel has landed in the parks, delighting fans of the lesser-represented little mascot.
- For fans of the subtle business pen craze, a new set of Pixar business pens have arrived on shopDisney.
- In anticipation of the upcoming live action movie release, a new MagicBand 2 has been released, featuring Dumbo and Timothy Q. Mouse.
- There’s some new Mickey Mouse shirts over at Epcot’s Canada pavilion, inspired by Canadian retailer Hudson’s Bay.
- Nike have released a bold new pair of Toy Story-themed sneakers in collaboration with LeBron James.
- Some playful new Toy Story Loungefly backpacks have arrived in the parks, featuring superb Woody and Buzz Lightyear designs.
- The Disneyland spirit jerseys have had an upgrade, as spirit jersey hoodies are now available over at The Emporium.
- Alex and Ani have released Mickey Ear Class of 2019 bangles, a super cute way to commemorate that special graduation milestone
- There’s a stunning new Dooney & Bourke tote on the block, specifically designed to the iconic Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa.
- Check out this photo roundup of the dazzling Minnie Ears available at Disneyland Resort, featuring lots of glitter.
- An adorable new Dooney & Bourke collection has just launched, featuring everyone’s favorite whimsical boat ride ‘it’s a small world’.
- Check out our photos of the new ‘Happiest Place on Earth’ collection over at the Disneyland Resort, including magical apparel and home decor items.
- In pin news, the new 2019 Hidden Mickey series is now out in the world and available for pin trading.
- Madame Leota, Genie, Timon and Pumbaa ornament figures have arrived at the Disney parks.
- Viewers of this year’s Oscars Ceremony got a special look at the upcoming ‘The Lion King’, and you can see the video and new poster here.
- The Disney/Fox merger has been approved by Brazilian authorities and could be finalized in a matter of weeks.
- A behind-the-scenes featurette of the upcoming movie ‘Dumbo’ was released, featuring cast interviews discussing their take on the animated classic.
That’s all of the Disney news for this past week! Be sure to check back at the end of each week for our weekly recaps!