Every week is a busy week when it comes to Disney news. To help you keep up with all of the updates coming out of Walt Disney World and other Disney resorts, here’s WDWNT’s weekly recap of this week’s Disney news!
Walt Disney World
- Tons of treats were announced for Mickey’s 90th birthday, including a Birthday Bash Push Pop!
- V.I.Passholders were given first dibs on the new celebratory merchandise at the Magic Kingdom this past November 16th. If you’re a passholder, be on the lookout for future events!
- Big changes to the exit of Space Mountain included the removal of all speed ramps and a re-design of the latter portion of the exit.
- Tomorrowland Terrace is making a surprise appearance for Fall with an all-new seasonal menu in addition to its regular lineup of tenders and burgers.
- Check out these amazing photos from Dapper Day 2018 at the Magic Kingdom.
- We reviewed the Mickey Birthday burger, cake pop, and pretzel all in the name of investigative journalism.
- A woman was arrested for dragging her kid through an Epcot bathroom.
- We got a first look at the ride cars for the new Guardians of the Galaxy coaster.
- New details about Epcot’s upcoming Space Station-themed restaurant were leaked via a job posting by Patina Restaurant Group.
- Brand new Spaceship Earth Mickey Ear Headbands debuted at Epcot!
- Here’s an updated look at construction of the new Guardians of the Galaxy building.
- As revealed during D23’s Destination D event, debuting in fall 2019 is “Epcot Forever,” a limited-time experience featuring classic Epcot tunes.
- Set to open at Epcot in 2020 is the (permanent) nighttime spectacular, “A Celebration of Disney Music.”
- Coming to the France Pavilion at World Showcase will be a brand-new “Beauty and the Beast” sing-along!
- The Ratatouille experience under construction at the France pavilion will be called Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure.
- Get a first listen of the score that will be played throughout Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.
- New permits revealed the layout of the upcoming Star Wars hotel adjacent to Galaxy’s Edge. (In fact, guests will be shuttled in to the new land!)
- The New York Times may have hinted at a Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster re-theme, but the Walt Disney Company quickly came forth and stated they were incorrect.
- In May 2019, an all-new cinematic nighttime experience, “Wonderful World of Animation,” will debut at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
- More Galaxy’s Edge attraction names were revealed during Destination D, along with some amazing video previews.
- Bob Chapek announced Saturday at Destination D that Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway is expected to open “in about a year,” putting the opening date sometime in fall 2019.
- Disney revealed a number of new concept art images for the upcoming Star Wars Hotel.
- Read about some amazing details nestled within the Africa section of Disney’s Animal Kingdom in this installment of Uniquely Disney.
Special Ticket Events:
- We haven’t even celebrated Thanksgiving, but Disneyland and Disney World are already planning parties to ring in the New Year. Check out this list of New Year’s parties and make your resolutions… I mean, reservations!
- Here’s a recap of Day 1 of D23’s Destination D event! (Yes, a recap within a recap.)
Disney’s Beach Club Resort:
- New mermaid-themed resort merchandise is here and it really makes us want to live under da sea.
Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort:
- Disney released the opening date and some new concept art for Disney’s Riviera Resort, adjacent to Disney’s Caribbean Beach.
Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort:
- Disney Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products Chairman Bob Chapek revealed more information about the new additions coming to Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort, including the name of the new tower coming to the resort, the Gran Destino Tower.
Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa:
- A monorail door completely detached from Monorail Green during a stop at Disney’s flagship resort.
- According to a Disney spokesperson, a motorized scooter struck the door while it was loading guests at the Grand Floridian.
Disney’s Polynesian Resort and Spa:
- The long-awaited Tambu Lounge reopened with a new look and a new menu!
Disney’s Yacht Club Resort:
- Ahoy, there! New nautical-themed resort merchandise was also released at the Beach Club’s sister resort.
Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground:
- RIP River Country. A new deluxe, nature-inspired resort is being built adjacent to Fort Wilderness, and its name was revealed during Destination D: “Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge”.
- Tons of new merchandise and specialty foods were released for Mickey’s 90th birthday celebration!
- Check out this review of the Pumpkin Pecan Pie cupcake at Sprinkles.
- Jock Lindsey’s getting into the Christmas spirit with two new cocktails at his Disney Springs hangar bar.
- Looking for the perfect Disney Springs snack? Check out the Gingerbread Churro Balls from the Four Rivers Cantina Barbacoa Food Truck near World of Disney.
- Goofy’s Candy Company at Disney Springs is swirling a new limited-time line of “Gourmet Flavored” cotton candy.
- The Edison has two new fall offerings, but only one we should be thankful for.
- We reviewed all the treats Amorette’s Patisserie had in store for Mickey’s 90th.
Disney World Transportation:
- As announced earlier this week, the Disney Skyliner will start operating and transporting guests between Walt Disney World Resorts beginning Fall 2019.
- The cables for the brand-new Skyliner have now been fully installed at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, slightly ahead of schedule… [pensive emoji]
Disney PhotoPass Service:
- Announced earlier this week, nine (9) select meet-and-greets will have automated cameras installed across Walt Disney World.
- The new PhotoPass Plan sparked considerable reaction from the Disney community, as discussed in this editorial.
- Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe has some new holiday treats, in addition to some old favorites.
- Check out this review for the Philly Cheesesteak Hot Dog over at the Refreshment Corner! Don’t hate it till you’ve tried it.
- We were instantly enamored with this Green Alien Holiday Macaron over at Alien Pizza Planet.
- Two brand-new Starbucks ceramic tumblers were released at Starbucks locations across Disneyland Resort in California and we want them both.
- We tried the new peppermint ice cream options at Clarabelle’s Hand Scooped Ice Cream.
- Disney released a piece of concept art for the upcoming Spider-Man ride.
- Confirmed just yesterday at Destination D, Mickey’s Mix Magic, the new nighttime fireworks and projection show we told you about a few weeks ago, is coming to Disneyland on January 18th.
Disney California Adventure:
- New holiday treats, like the holiday chicken pesto cone and a pair of festive churros are available at the Cars Land Cozy Cone Motel.
- Lamplight Lounge in Disney California Adventure is offering two all-new holiday items for the 2018 season, including a Turkey Carnitas Poutine!
- We reviewed the Blue Plate Special, the Chocolate Peppermint Milkshake, and the 4-inch Chocolate Peppermint Pie at Flo’s V8 Cafe.
- Studio Catering Co. at Disney California Adventure is now offering three new holiday food items: Holiday Dessert Nachos, Plant-etarium Street Tacos, and the Holiday Frozen Horchata.
Festival of Holidays 2018 Booth Reviews:
Check out our comprehensive guide to all things Festival of the Holidays 2018!
Downtown Disney District:
- We received an update on the new Ballast Point Brewery at Downtown Disney.
- A second Starbucks store location is coming soon to the Downtown Disney District, across from the Disneyland Monorail station.
- From festive decor to seasonal music and special treats, Downtown Disney at the Disneyland Resort will have plenty to enjoy as the holiday season arrives.
- Christmas has arrived at Disneyland Paris and we have a very special photo report for you!
- It is now confirmed that Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris will reopen for guests on February 16, 2019.
- Disneyland Paris angered guests by announcing that “The World’s Biggest Mouse Party” would take place on November 17th, one day before Mickey’s official birthday.
Walt Disney Imagineering:
- Kathy Mangum, Senior Vice President Walt Disney World Portfolio Executive – Walt Disney Imagineering, will be retiring at the end of 2018 after 40 years with the company.
- New Mickey-themed Ray-Ban Wayfarer sunglasses are available via Sunglass Hut!
- Our first look at the 2018 Disney Gift Card Holiday Pin Series is here!
- A brand-new Figment glass sculpture is being sold at Crystal Arts by Arribas Brothers at Walt Disney World.
- Disney and Dole celebrate Mickey’s 90th with a whole new marketing campaign, recipes, and collectible Mickey banana stickers.
- We got a special teaser trailer for Toy Story 4 featuring the all-new character, Forky!
- Along with it, a new set of character posters were released for the movie.
- As well as a release date! Toy Story 4 ventures to U.S. theaters on June 21, 2019.
- “To infinity and your mom!” Ducky and Bunny will also be joining the cast of toys in Toy Story 4. Check out their hilarious trailer here!
- The winter issue of Disney twenty-three has an exclusive look behind this winter’s hottest movies, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, Kingdom Hearts III, and more.
- Mobile games giant Jam City announced a multi-year partnership with Disney that includes the development of new games along with taking over popular mobile game Disney Emoji Blitz.
- Get ready to see an elephant soar, as Disney released a full trailer for their remake of Dumbo, directed by Disney Legend Tim Burton.
- Watch this new sneak peek of Mary Poppins Returns.
- Diego Luna will reprise his role as Cassian Andor from “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” in an untitled live Star Wars TV series for Disney’s upcoming streaming service, Disney+.
- The soundtrack for Ralph Breaks The Internet is out on digital media stores and streaming services including iTunes, Google Play, and Spotify.
- Check out this new clip featuring Yesss—the head algorithm of a trend-making website called BuzzzTube—who helps make Ralph the next viral video sensation.
- Comic book legend Stan Lee died at the age of 95. He will be greatly missed, but never forgotten. Excelsior, Stan!
- Marvel Comics and The Walt Disney Company salute the life and career of Stan Lee and offer their undying gratitude for his unmatchable accomplishments within their halls, click here for a video honoring his legacy.
That’s all of the Disney news for this past week! Be sure to check back at the end of each week for our weekly recaps!
I don’t know about you, but there are times when planning a Disney vacation can be overwhelming! There are so many options, where to stay, when to go, is this the best price. So, I want to introduce you all to Cindy Minor and the team at Small World Big Fun. They will help you plan your Disney vacation for FREE. Contact them today!