Every week is a busy week when it comes to Disney news. To help you keep up with all of the updates coming out of Walt Disney World and other Disney resorts, here’s WDWNT’s weekly recap of the Disney news from May 20-26!
Countdown to Galaxy’s Edge
- Check out our primer on everything you need to know about Galaxy’s Edge in our Black Spire 101 post!
- Learn the legacy of the making of the original Star Wars trilogy with this cinema history piece.
- More details have been revealed about the interactive experiences available in Galaxy’s Edge, which can be explored through the Play Disney Parks App, which has now been updated with the Datapad experience activated
- We got our first look at the guidemap covering Galaxy’s Edge in the Disneyland Park
- Disney also released a companion Merchant & Food Guide to Batuu
- It has been confirmed that Galaxy’s Edge merchandise will be available outside of the land, with lineups starting on May 31st
- Get a peek at these coasters from Oga’s Cantina, as well as the Yub Nub and Cliff Dweller souvenir mugs and the printed menu
- How amazing is this Galaxy’s Edge BB-8 headband, which is so cute it even talks to you as you wear it!
- We learned that there is a chance that reservations will be required for the Handbuilt Lightsaber Experience at Savi’s Workshop
- Pricing and the process for custom droid building has been revealed for Droid Depot
- Disney Parks Live will be live streaming the Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge dedication ceremony which will take place on May 29th
- Read our first on-ride review for Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run. In a word: incredible
- DJ-R3X is the funky new DJ Droid at Oga’s Cantina. Voiced by PeeWee Herman actor Paul Reubens, it’s no doubt you’re going to be seeing a lot of him in the upcoming months!
- We got our first look at the breakfast items at Ronto Roasters, including Turkey Jerky and speciality beverages
- The full menu, including speciality beverages, was revealed for Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo
- Guests with reservations to Galaxy’s Edge will check in before their allotted time at Launch Bay
- As Galaxy’s Edge merchandise flies through social media, check out these first impressions of the custom-built Lightsabers from Savi’s Workshop
- These awesome “Landing 2019” Galaxy’s Edge reusable bags have been spotted about Disneyland, perfect for carrying all that merchandise in!
Black Spire 101: Everything You Need to Know About Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
WDWNT proudly presents our Black Spire 101 series, bringing you everything you need to know about all the dining, shopping and experiences travellers to Batuu can expect in one handy guide! Here are the links so far, be sure to check back to the site for more:
- Everything You Need to Know About Savi’s Workshop in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
- Everything You Need to Know About Kat Saka’s Kettle in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
Walt Disney World
- The new Build-a-Band MagicBand upgrade option for resort guests and Annual Passholders is now available on the My Disney Experience app
- Make sure you read this editorial about visiting Walt Disney World with Myasthenia Gravis, featuring valuable tips on visiting the parks with disabilities, including a look at the Disability Access Service pass and more
- Even more Disney After Hours events have been added for Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios through September
- A new summer ticket option for Walt Disney World has been announced – the Summer One World ticket will offer one admission to all four theme parks for $444
- New limited-time super-zoom and character-inspired Magic Shot PhotoPass experiences will be coming to Walt Disney World this summer
- Disney security stations at park entrances are now phasing out the use of loose item bins, enabling guests to walk straight through metal detectors with their belongings
- There’s some new additions to the breakfast and lunch menus over in Be Our Guest
- Construction on the TRON Lightcycle Power Run coaster is powering through, with lots of track now installed
- Magic Kingdom has been officially declared the world’s most visited theme park, according to the 2018 Theme Index and Museum Index by The Themed Entertainment Association (TEA) and AECOM’s economics practice
- ‘Tis the season to get your tickets for Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Fireworks Dessert Party! Booking for the event is open now
- Casey’s Corner made an unannounced and very disconcerting change to their menu this week. Read our review of the Chicken Corn Dog Nuggets. That’s right: chicken.
- Read our review of the new Lemon Sorbet and Chocolate Gelato over at Pinocchio Village Haus
- We also tried the tasty new Loaded Onion Rings from the Golden Oak Outpost
- The new color scheme of Tomorrowland is expanding – check out our photos of the new paintwork here
- The spitting camel has returned to her rightful place outside The Magic Carpets of Aladdin in Adventureland!
- Aunt Polly’s Restaurant on Tom Sawyer Island has opened for a limited time this Memorial Day weekend – so get there quick!
- The new “Rivers of Light: We Are One” show debuted this week, take a look at our photos and video here
- You can also watch this behind-the-scenes look at the show here
- If you’re planning on visiting the Wilderness Explorers activity station at Animal Kingdom, make sure you take note of the changing opening hours which will take effect from June 2nd
- A range of exciting festivities have been announced for the Holidays at Animal Kingdom, including a winter-themed Tree of Life Awakenings series, holiday décor throughout Pandora, puppet street performances and more
- There’s a whole pride of new treats in Animal Kingdom, inspired by The Lion King. We reviewed the Bugs ‘n’ Grubs Waffle Cone from Anandapur Ice Cream Truck, the Simba Sunset Dole Whip and King’s Cooler Float from Tamu Tamu, the Asante Slush from Harambe’s Shave Ice Cart and the Simba Ice Cream Sandwich from Tamu Tamu
- Check out this week’s photo report for Animal Kingdom, including fluffy keychains, work on Pandora and the ongoing construction of Club 33
- These fun, new, The Lion King-inispired PhotoPass Magic Shots let guests take photos with Simba and the gang
- Take a look at the new Tree of Life Awakenings series which debuted this week, also themed to The Lion King
- Earlier in the week it was rumored that Winged Encounters – The Kingdom Takes Flight bird show would be ending, however we can confirm that the show will go on, however posted times will not be available on Times Guides or calendars
- The removal of the Leave a Legacy monolinths at the entrance to Epcot continues, with walls going up to hide the area
- Take a look at our construction update report for Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure – it appears the framing has been completed and work is progressing nicely
- The security station at the International Gateway has moved to Friendship Boat Dock as work continues on the Skyliner Station
- The opening month for Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway has finally been revealed, and it’s set to be earlier than planned
- Check out our Hollywood Studios Skyliner station construction update, including a closer look at detailing developments
- Check out this week’s photo report for Hollywood Studios, including new souvenir penny machines, Galaxy’s Edge construction and more
- The remodelled ABC Commissary has opened with a striking new interior – check out the photos we took here
- Read our review of this “Sweet Mesquite” Gourmet Cotton Candy, which is available at Goofy’s Candy Co. in Disney Springs
- Read all about the upcoming H2O Glow Nights coming to Typhoon Lagoon, featuring Toy Story 4′s new character Forky
Walt Disney World Resort Hotels
- The seven Disney Springs area hotels are once again offering their special “teacher appreciation” discounted rates for this summer
- Even more Walt Disney World resorts will be benefiting from a Mobile Ordering system at their counter service locations over the coming months
Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Read the new instalment of our Ticketless Disney editorial series, this week taking a deeper look into the magic of the Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Read our review of the ridiculously pink creation: the Imagination Pink Minnie Ear Cupcake from Contempo Café
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- The Grand Floridian has now been added to the list of resorts which DVC members will not be able to pool-hop through
Port Orleans Resort
- Read our full review of the very impressive all-you-care-to-enjoy chef’s platter at Boatwright’s Dining Hall in Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside
- Inclement weather over Anaheim caused a power outage earlier this week in the Disneyland Resort, leading to temporary attraction closures
- As construction continues on the Pixar Pals parking structure at the Disneyland Resort, we noticed work on the pedestrian bridge and tram loading areas happening
- The Moonliner Rocket has undergone a transformation as part of the enhancement project currently in progress on Alien Pizza Planet restaurant
- The new Adventureland entrance sign has gone up at the Disneyland Park
- Now the refurbishment has been completed on Sleeping Beauty Castle, take an in-depth look at the beloved icon in its shining new glory
- Check out this new digital tip board which has been installed in the park as part of Project Stardust, making finding out about show times and wait times much easier
Disney California Adventure
- The new brunch menu was revealed for Lamplight Lounge earlier this week, and you can read our full review here
- Check out this week’s photo report for Disney California Adventure, including construction, crowds and more
- We’re very excited to report that Soarin’ Over California will be returning for one month only, probably in an attempt to distract from Galaxy’s Edge?
- New details have been revealed for the interactive DescenDANCE party at Oogie Boogie Bash Halloween Party
- This week, Disney announced further details about the new lake area coming to Walt Disney Studios park, as part of the huge expansion which will bring Frozen and Star Wars lands to the park
- The first Zootopia-themed construction walls have gone up at Shanghai Disneyland, featuring fun and detailed artwork
Tokyo Disney Resort
- Take a look at this absolutely stunning concept art for “Fantasy Springs”, coming to Tokyo DisneySea in 2022
- The bold and colorful ‘Disney Parks Forever’ collection by Junk Food is now available at the Disneyland resort
- Check out the upcoming pin releases for June at Disneyland and Walt Disney World!
- A large range of Pride merchandise is now available in the parks, with 10% of all proceeds to be donated to a charity supporting LGBTQ youth
- Also in the Pride collection are these Alex & Ani Pride rainbow bangles are now available
- This rainbow Pride Pandora charm is now on sale too
- There is even more new Americana apparel now available at the Disneyland Resort, including Minnie Ears and a Spirit Jersey
- Check out this new Alien Swirling Saucers open-edition MagicBand, featuring “The Claaaaw”
- The Mickey & Minnie Paisley Vera Bradley collection is now available on shopDisney
- We spotted these adorable and detailed new Toy Story Pandora charms this week, featuring Buzz, Woody, Jessie and an Alien
- This new Genie Loungefly backpack magically appeared in the Disneyland Resort this week – looks perfect for carrying your lamps around
- These limited release Americana Minnie Ear headband by Harveys is first up in the all-new Disney Parks Designer Collection
- Show off your pirate side with this Pirates of the Caribbean Redd dress and treasure chest purse
Entertainment & Media
- Aladdin came out in theatres this week, read our full review of the magical movie here
- The third chapter in the John Wick franchise has defeated Avengers: Endgame to the top spot at the box office
- Marvel and NetEase have entered an exclusive agreement which will provide China with original content based on Marvel properties
- Check out the Vanity Fair photo shoot and behind-the-scenes look at Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
- With only a month to go until the movie’s release, check out the final trailer for Toy Story 4
- Rumor has it that The Muppets will be starring in a series of variety shorts for the new Disney+ streaming service
- New content has been added to Disney mobile games to promote the theatrical release of Aladdin – so make sure you check those out!
That’s all of the Disney news for this past week! Make sure you check back at the end of each week for our weekly recaps!