Every week is a busy week when it comes to Disney news. To help you keep up with all of the updates coming out of Walt Disney World and other Disney resorts, here’s WDWNT’s weekly recap of the Disney news from February 3-9!
Walt Disney World
- Due to exceptionally high winds on Thursday, numerous nighttime performances were cancelled or modified for safety, and resort transportation methods had to be adjusted for the night
- Check out this week’s photo report for Magic Kingdom, featuring tons of new MagicBands, character sightings, and more!
- The week started with the Super Bowl LIV Celebration Parade, with the MVP Patrick Mahomes of the Kansas City Chiefs at the forefront, through the Magic Kingdom
- This week also saw the first of the Disney Villains After Hours 2020 events at the Magic Kingdom! The wicked new Villains Cursed Caravan Parade wrecked havoc on the streets, and there was a huge array of exclusive merchandise available at the event. Of course, there were plenty of evil treats on offer, and you bet we tried them all. Read our reviews of the Cherry Coke Float from Storybook Treats, the Five Dozen Egg Slushy from Gaston’s Tavern, the Just Take Three Beignets and Voodoo Magic Lemonade from Sleepy Hollow, The Diamond in the Rough Slush from Tortuga Tavern, and The Queen of Hearts treat selection at Cheshire Cafe
- Guests visiting Magic Kingdom in March may take advantage of extended park hours and Extra Magic hours in the park
- Big Top Souvenirs has reopened after its flood, however with a generic gray carpet replacing the previous, circus-themed decor
- In construction news across Magic Kingdom, the remodelling project on the queue at Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin has been completed, with a large separating wall now installed in the line area, the Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover speed ramp is undergoing refurbishment, the 1994 Tomorrowland light poles have been removed and paved over, the Walt Disney World Railroad track is being re-installed, and repaving work on the walkways has been making progress in the entrance area of the park
- Also this week we treated ourselves to the Happily Ever After Fireworks Dessert Party, read our full review here!
- In slightly more unnerving news, guests witnessed the hand falling off an animatronic in Carousel of Progress mid-show this week
- Disney PhotoPass are now offering a “Capture Your Moment” add-on, for a private session with a photographer in the Magic Kingdom
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Check out this week’s photo report for Animal Kingdom, featuring beautiful views, Simba popcorn buckets, and more!
- Attractions in Dinoland U.S.A will be closing early on February 10 for a special event, so plan ahead if you will be visiting
- Check out this week’s photo report for EPCOT, featuring Joffrey’s Valentine’s Day latte offerings, the Swarovski bottle promotion, creepy spider webs and more!
- The former “The Donut Box” kiosk has returned as the future home of Taste Track Burgers and Fries
- We reviewed the new Olaf Oreo Cheesecake from Kringla Bakeri
- New FastPass+ kiosks have been installed near to Test Track
- In construction news across EPCOT, landscaping additions have been added at the entrance to the park, themed lights have gone up in the France pavilion around the Ratatouille expansion area, new pavement has been added near Taste Track with that mystery landscaping pushing on, the first decorative sections have been added to the base of the new entrance fountain, and a meat smoker, light fixtures, new lights and shutters have been added to Regal Eagle Smokehouse
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Check out this week’s photo report for Hollywood Studios, featuring retro apparel, refurbishment efforts, Galaxy’s Edge and more!
- Guests visiting Hollywood Studios and wanting to take advantage of Extra Magic Hours should note that the times have been adjusted through August, while the 8am park opening has been extended through March 14
- A glitch in My Disney Experience is causing FastPass+ reservations for Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run to be replaced with Tier 2 options
- Muppet*Vision 3D has reopened after its refurbishment, sporting a refreshed interior. The Miss Piggy fountain in Muppets Courtyard outside the ride has also returned, however with the loss of even more of the Muppets figurines
- Also in construction at Hollywood Studios, we saw that land is being cleared for the entrance to the Roundup Rodeo BBQ in Toy Story Land, and heavy-duty construction walls and scaffolding have been erected to Legends of Hollywood
- It has been confirmed that the “Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away” stage show will soon be ending
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway has had a fun new neon marquee installed, which was illuminated for the first time on Friday ahead of the grand opening of the ride. We also learned that the beloved “Potatoland” song will be featured in the queue of the ride and, most excitingly, Fastpass+ are now available for the attraction!
- Check out this week’s photo report for Disney Springs, featuring new merchandise, limited edition pins for February, and more!
- We reviewed the disappointing new City Works Eatery & Pour House, which does however provide a good new addition to Disney Springs for lovers of beer and/or sports
- Rustic Cuff Jewelry opened its first-ever Florida location in Disney Springs this week
- We tried the new Cinnful Sundae from Wolfgang Puck Bar and Grill
Walt Disney World Resort Hotels
Disney’s All-Star Resorts
- Now famous for their cupcakes, we visited the All-Stars this week to try the Mulan Cherry Blossom Cupcake and the Gus Gus Cinderella Cupcake
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Refurbishment work on the entrance to Animal Kingdom Lodge began this week
Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
- We reviewed the new Blue Ocean Colada from Kona Island
Disney’s Port Orleans Resort
- Earlier this week, a major (yet temporary) power outage was reported at Riverside
Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser
- It was announced that reservations will be opening later this year for the immersive, intergalactic hotel experience of the Galactic Starcruiser, which will be debuting in 2021
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Select rooms had to go without water late in the night at Wilderness Lodge, due to construction on the resort
- A fire erupted in Disneyland on Thursday, closing Main Street and Adventureland as crews battled to extinguish the blaze
- A new scavenger hunt is available in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge: “Bina’s Guide to the Creatures of Batuu”
Disney California Adventure
- Some intriguing methods were used by casting directors in the hiring process for the upcoming MARVEL Avengers Campus, as it was revealed that the cast members hired had to break into interviews, submit resumes as S.H.I.E.L.D agents and develop full character backstories in order to secure their jobs
- In a recent interview, the Vice President of Disney California Adventure alluded to a possible $800 million overhaul of Hollywood Land, with a Black Box dark ride being the next park project after the Marvel additions
- We reviewed the Raspberry Cookies and Cream Bread Pudding from Pacific Wharf Cafe, and the Strawberry Cream Valentine’s Day Heart Macaron and Valentine’s Day Ice Cream Bar from Clarabelle’s
- Disney FASTPASS will be returning to Autopia, and debuting at Monster, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue!
Downtown Disney District
- Jamba Juice has revealed a new “Jamba” logo after its remodel and will be opening soon
Tokyo Disney Resort
- It was announced that the new “Type C” monorail will enter service in the resort on May 21st this year. In the meantime, get a special look at the pastel Duffy & Friends monorail liner on the Disney Resort Line
- Check out this week’s photo report for Tokyo Disneyland, featuring Main Street windows, refurbishment updates, and more!
- Adorable ride vehicles have been revealed for The Happy Ride with Baymax, while the Beast’s Castle is now fully visible in New Fantasyland
- Check out this week’s photo report for DisneySea, featuring Coronavirus precautions, views of Mt. Fuji, a Duffy flan case, and more!
- Take a look at the adorable and colorful new food and souvenir items available for the Duffy & Friends “Spring in Bloom” celebration
- In pin news, here are the February 2020 releases for Disneyland Paris, including a Tower of Terror collection, and we found new Valentine’s Day, Cookie Num Num scratch & sniff, and attraction pins over in the Disneyland Resort
- In new MagicBand news, we found this Pinocchio MagicBand, a retro 1971 limited-release MagicBand, a Cinderella 70th anniversary limited-release MagicBand, and a Fantastic Five collection Mickey Mouse MagicBand
- Walk down the aisle to get this bride and groom Mickey and Minnie plush set
- Get ready for your next color obsession, as the new Ariel Grotto Coral collection has landed in Disneyland Paris
- Unleash your inner artist with even more releases in the Ink & Paint merchandise and apparel collection, including this fun Mouse Ear Headband and Sorcerer Mickey OtterBox phone case
- Also in ear headgear news, check out these new Orange Bird Minnie Ears which will be coming to the EPCOT International Flower & Garden Festival, and these blingy Disney Parks Designer Collection Ears by THE BLONDS
- Pack for a day in the parks with these park-exclusive canvas box-style backpacks by Loungefly, or this “World of PIXAR” Dooney & Bourke purse collection
- Get your Baby Yoda fix with this The Mandalorian baseball cap
- Glamorously show off your AP status with this Annual Passholder charm by Pandora, and make sure you check out this Millennium Falcon charm, too
- Get your hands on one of those popular Space Sporks over in Docking Bay 7 in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
- Snack in style with this Steamboat Minnie Balloon souvenir popcorn bucket
- In new apparel, suit up in this Marvel Super Heroes 80th Anniversary Spirit Jersey, stay cool in the Disney Skyliner and Lady and the Tramp windbreakers, and get cosy in these Winnie the Pooh and Disney Birds shirts and leggings
- Join us in obsessing over this grand and miraculous new Spaceship Earth glow tumbler from EPCOT
Entertainment and Media
- New character posters have been released for Marvel Studios’ Black Widow
- It was announced that Disney will be releasing Hamilton: An American Musical to movie theaters with the original Broadway cast in 2021
- Mulan graced the cover of the latest issue of Disney Twenty-Three
- Rumor has it that Rick Moranis is in talks to come out of retirement for a new Honey, I Shrunk the Kids movie
- In impressive figures, Disney+ vastly outpaced their expectations with a huge 28.6 million subscribers in their first quarter
- It was announced that The Mandalorian will be returning for a second season in October
- A live-action Lilo and Stitch remake has been slated for Disney+
Other Disney News
- We were saddened to hear of the passing of cinema legend Kirk Douglas, star of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, at the age of 103
- A website has been launched for Lighthouse Point – Disney Cruise Line’s second exclusive Bahamian location – giving us lots more details on the exciting development project
- Two intriguing patent applications have been filed by Disney for potential attraction effects: a “portable Pepper’s Ghost effect” and a haptic floor system for large vibration-based effects
- A former Disney Cast Member pleaded no contest this week to selling stolen Walt Disney World property to unwitting customers, avoiding jail time for the crime
- Disney Parks, experiences and products have seen another solid financial quarter of growth in the first months of 2020. However, on a more negative note, Disney announced that they are anticipating a whooping $280 million in losses from Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disney Resort combined, due to the closures and effects from the Coronavirus outbreak
WDW News Today
Make sure you catch up on the News Today episodes from this week!
Fire Near Walt’s Apartment, Star Wars Hotel Bookings, Bring Home Spaceship Earth – News Today 2/7/20
Marvel Land Cast Interviews, Runaway Railway Sign, Financial Trouble in China – News Today 2/5/20
Great Movie Ride Tribute in Runaway Railway, Galaxy’s Edge Scavenger Hunt – News Today 2/3/20